• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Rejuvenating N40WW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brb

Reaction score
Back in 2013 I acquired Wain Westfield's Little Toot N40WW from a salvage yard in Phoenix. Seems the airplane lost part of its propeller, landed without undue incident, but was written off by the insurance company because of possible vibration damage. If anyone has further information on this incident, I'd like to hear about it. I was fortunate that the sale included the original Builders log, Air Frame Log, and Engine Log.

Anyway, 2020 was the year I got motivate to put the plane back in the air. I've done a fair bit of work righting past wrongs and am close to being ready to hang the wings. Lots of pictures without any explanation are posted here: N40WW Rejuvenation Pictures

The aircraft is equipped with a converted Lycoming O-290G. I have a question concerning a weight that was attached to the flywheel. The weight is in the form of a 10 lbs ring bolted to the front of the flywheel. It's visible as originally installed in the first picture. The last picture shows the flywheel with the weight removed. I find no mention of it in any of the logs. I removed it when i changed out the broken prop. I've run the engine with both a full sized wooden prop and a Hegy club prop. It starts and runs fine. Can anyone enlighten me as to why the weight was there?

- CG?
- Rotating mass?

20120918002_SalvagePhoto.jpg

20210221143323_FlywheelWeight.jpg

20210221143335_Flywheel.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back