• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Repeat Offender / Wing style performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop85

Reaction score

I built a Skybolt back in '96 and loved it but sold it for a few reasons, the main being I decided to build a RV-6 to fit my current needs better. I'm happily back in the Skybolt business though and picking up a project Saturday. I sure wish a forum like this had been available my first time around, just lots of calls to Hale Wallace. This forum appears to be a wealth of fantastic information.

My currentquestion for the group is whether to stick with the current wings that are the old style (2.5 dihedral) or build a new set with the shallower angles? I'll be getting a full set of the old wings and ribs for the newer style so the main consideration is whether the difference in performance will justify the remaining cost of the new wings/braces/flying wires/I struts? What it really comes down to is whether the difference in dihedral is noticable for those of you that have flown both? My goal is to re-enter competition so performance is a plus.

Thanks and I look forward to being a member of this group,
Marcus

Latest posts

Back