• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Replacing Ribs in situ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I have been ponder this one for awhile ... I have thought about rebuilding my wings and I have also thought about replacing the aileron bay ribs with new ribs that allow the super stinker cove. I have also thought about replacing the compression ribs a with 5/16 cap strips and the center compression spar that is sheeted like the stock S-1S or any other Pitts is designed. The question arises has anyone had any experience in replacing ribs weather they be broken or for any other reason without removing all the ribs in front of it. Some ideas that come to mind is to make a rib jig that allows the rib to be built in place which i think would work quite well and be really easy to make but just wondering if anyone has had experience replacing ribs on a Pitts or another aircraft without just removing all the ribs on the wings and sliding new ones on.
Edited by: acropilotbret

Latest posts

Back