• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Request POH For Der Jager

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
4-11-2021
Hi Dave I hope that you are well ?

I spoke to you 3-4 years ago, about buying a Steen Skybolt in the US, then importing to Australia. That didn't work out, so I ended up buying a Pitts S1 ( v good build, good value, and was at Torrence, where I could see it. ) and also a Stolp Der Jager 9 100hp Continental, 45 hours Total , exN80TD . Neither has flown in Australia, partly because of covid, and other matters. I want to fly the DJ but I do not have a POH or Flight Manual. This causes difficulty in Aust, because there are no other Der Jager's here.

Do you know where I can get one or refer me to owners of DJ's in the US ? I believe 25 or so were built. My airplane - from Corona, California, has only 45 hours since new, we believe.

Hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks and best wishes.

Mark Wilson +61 414 489 750

My Answer

Mark sorry to be late in answering your questions, yes I do remember our previous conversations. As for your question regarding a POH for the Der Jager. First of all it was not a Stolp design, yes it was inspired by the SA-500 Starlet, by Marshall White, asked Lou Stolp back in the late 60s if it would be okay that he copied the basic drawings for the Starlet and made it into a biblane with a WWI accent Lou Said be my guest! The big problem is during the early 70s Marshall White seems to have fallen off the end of the earth. I can find no reference or correspondence at all from or about Mr White after about 1972? No one seems to know where he is or what ever happened to him, or if any family member or friend ever acquired the rights to that airplane. By The Way he was also planning on a two place version of the airplane. I think he may have passed away suddenly or perhaps was fatally injured in an automobile accident, just speculating but with no relatives or surviving ones, apparently all of his drawings also disappeared? Mark I will post this on The Biplane Forum and see if we can get some help. Dave

From A previous post on the forum

As for Marshall White, I do not believe he is still alive nor do I know anyone that still is, who may know who has the rights to the drawings. Most who knew him back in the day are also gone. He lived in Huntington Beach CA and flew the airplane out of Chino CA. Both Glenn Beets and Gray Harmon that flew the time off of this airplane for Marshall have also passed on.

I remember being privy to a conversation on the front steps of Stolp Aircraft as an employee of this co around 1968. Marshall had asked Lou did he have any objection to (He) Marshall taking the basic design of the Starlet and making it into a biplane Lou told him be my guest and he is the one that suggested the FockeWulf Strosser gear!

Marshall then spent the afternoon picking through the remnants of our routed wing kit wood pile to make many of the small wing parts for this airplane! There are conflicting reports that Lou Stolp and Marshall White collaborated on the design of this airplane, however at a later date Marshall denied that this ever happened and that he was the sole designer of Der Jager, So the truth is somewhere in the middle!

Though modeled after World War I fighters, the Der Jager is not a
replica. Its builder, Marshall White, patterned the wing shape after
that of the German Albatross. The tail assembly is patterned after that
of the Fokker D-7, and the gear after that of the FockeWulf âStrosser.â
The frameworks of the fuselage and the tail group are of welded-steel
tube that is fabric covered. The wings are wood with no flaps. The
prototype was fitted with a 115-hp Lycoming, but the airplane is so
light that anything down to the Volkswagen 1,600cc engine will fly it
nicely.

For whatever it is worth. Dave

Latest posts

Back