Rib Nails and Glue alternative

Discussion in 'Acrosport Wings' started by clay, Mar 21, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 21, 2018 #1

clay

clay

clay

Some may already be aware, but in traditionally planked wooden boatbuilding you will see nails used or staples, depending on the method to attach thin material or planks to a form, this requires patches to be made etc for the leftover holes.

They now have a plastic staple that can be sanded down and left in place without causing anything more than a joint between pieces of wood vice leaving a hole....this might just resolve the "nails in wood" issue we read about occasionally in rib construction vs glue only/no nails.

Take a look

https://raptornails.com/product-applications/boat-building.php

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. Mar 21, 2018 #2

wzm

wzm

wzm

That's a really neat idea! I think their current sizes are a little large for aircraft work, I've mostly used 22 gauge 3/8" crown staples, but for the right project it could be just the ticket.

The 22 gauge staples are easy to sand the crown off of, and they never seem to split 1/4" cap strip.

If you don't want to spend the money on a Senco 22 gauge stapler, taking a small Arrow stapler (a JT21, if I remember correctly) and cutting a coil off of the spring will give you enough force for 1/16" gussets, while leaving a large amount of staple sitting proud of the rib. It's easy enough to pull them out with a pair of pliers afterwards, and the total puncture is about the same as a 22 gauge Senco.

3. Mar 21, 2018 #3

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Build a plexi jig with top and bottom plates, that holds top and bottom gussets in place, and clamp the whole thing at once. Not fast but no holes.

4. Mar 21, 2018 #4

jstreat

jstreat

jstreat

I hate nails and staples in ribs:) Below is my old Pitts Rib jig with pressure plates, upper wing scarf jig, and nose block routing jig. Used many times. Built many ribs for many Pitts.

JST

SDC13153.jpg

SDC13154.jpg

SDC13149.jpg

SDC13143.jpg

SDC13146.jpg

5. Mar 22, 2018 #5

Airplanebarn

Airplanebarn

Airplanebarn

Slow building a Starduster Too . Love Tailwheel Fl

I made some Ribs a few years ago for a plane that I ended up not finishing . I used 3/4 bolts about 1 1/2 inches long . Put 2 nuts on them . Fairly heavy . Just used them as Weights to hold the Gussets on the Capstrip pieces , in my Jig for Glueing . Worked really good . I don't like staples or nails going into 1/4 inch capstrip .

6. Mar 22, 2018 #6

clay

clay

clay

Depends if one drills first before cracking the wood, I tend to agree the advantage of nails with modern glues or using just modern glues is nil.

BUT the composite nails may be useful in leading edges or other interesting areas where pulling the tack or nail out is more difficult

7. Mar 26, 2018 #7

clay

clay

clay