• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Rib Stitching Tail Feathers - A few question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dances_with_cumulus

Reaction score
Hi All
I am new to this forum.
Recently a friend and I acquired a partially complete Steen Skybolt, which has never been covered. The drawings for the horizontal stab and elevators show that a 30 degree 'lip' is to be bent into the U shaped channel that runs fore and aft. I wondered about that lip, and from searching on this forum found one post that stated the purpose of the lip is to keep the fabric away from that edge, which might cut into it. This seems like a reasonable explanation for the bend, because 30 degrees would be an odd angle if it was for strength reasons.

Looking at the actual tailfeathers, I note that the previous builder didn't bend them to 30 degrees, looks more like 5 degrees. Is it reasonable for me to use a 3" hand tool to increase the angle to 30 degrees on the channels or am I asking for wrinkles? Should I live with the 5 degrees, or break the weld,. take them out and get them right??? What to do?

Second question - how in the dickens does one rib stitch that rib? To come in from below at a 30 degree angle and out again on top going 30 degrees the other way would require a perfectly bent curved needle, and extreme patience. I am wondering if the correct procedure is to make a slit, such that the lacing lays on top of the 0.5 inch flat, but can drop down through the slit to lay on the flat of the 30 degree bend ? Did I reason it out correctly?

Many thanks in advance for your wise advice. :)

Latest posts

Back