• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Rigging boards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have been off line for a few days, computer died! Anyway I have 1" square aluminum tubing on its way to me. My plan, and please feel free to jump in with a better mouse trap, is to use a 6' long tube and on one end, a riveted shoulder that will stick down 6" with a large V mounted on it. This will hook over the leading edge. On the back end I will have an adjustable (sliding) shoulder with a threaded rod attached to a smaller V that will intersect the trailing edge. I may even put a couple of long bolts (or threaded rod again) up through the long bar with a nut above and below the bar to adjust and hold in place. These would be placed at a predetermined distance to align with the spars above the wing. That would make it like the rigging board in a previous thread. They can be made to any length and spacing to accommodate the particular wing being rigged. At this point I am hoping I can make the rear sliding bracket like a pipe bar clamp is made. Just slide in to place and let the interference (off set) fit keep it in place when the threaded rod is tightened up against the wing trailing edge. Pipe bar clamps have been a fixture in the wood working world for ever. I have a set made of wood that are easily over a 100 years old. I was going to use wood but decided against it as it may warp with age unless I spend another week, at least, laminating up the main bar.

This rigging board will be adjustable for just about any aircraft wing I will ever have to rig!

L

Latest posts

Back