• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

right engine, wrong prop governor on S2A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedrankine

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have been doing a rigorous review of everything on my S2A in preparation for importing into it Canada. It spends much of its life in Florida , but I am Canadian and my government is a little cranky about me owning a US registered aircraft and flying here at home. So, I am learning the nuances of wading through 40 years of paperwork. There are a few snags, but one particularly onerous one that cropped up is (before I purchased the aircraft), an engine change in 2004, upgrading from IO360 to an AIEO360 . The changeover included a new prop governor, model F6-58 from the model F6-3A that was on the IO360. A review of the Aviat type certificate has revealed that the engine is fine but the -58 prop governor is only allowable on airframe serial numbers 2206 and up. Mine is about 100 or so below that serial number. I “suspect” the -58 is applicable to the AIEO and the -3 to the IO engine. Aviat is standing by their type certificate so I reaching out trying to learn if there is any way that I can prove that my existing configuration is legal. Would there have been a big change with the S2A between serial numbers 2205 and 2206 that negates the use of the -58 ? Perhaps someone has some experience about this issue or knows of an STC I might be missing. Unfortunately this snag has served to ground the plane till I figure it out and / or purchase and install a replacement governor.

Latest posts

Back