• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Right Mag Kaput

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I was in the middle of some heavy (for me) acro and noticed immediate engine roughness with a bit of knocking. I was doing a little knocking of my own as I climbed over a field to buy some altitude to get me home. Once on the ground a mag check yielded a left drop of 70 and right of 1400. Yes that's right. It ran just enough to slowly swing the prop and that's about it. My mechanic says rebuild or replace. The mags are bendix and (I think) both are impulse coupling. The engine is an IO360 with about 1000 hours and built in the '70s. My mechanic is researching the serial numbers but I don't think the mags are much newer. Honestly, I don't think I will low-ball this one. But crowd-sourcing is free so I appreciate any feedback. Prior to this, the engine has run beautifully and starts on the first stroke almost every time, hot or cold. So I'd hate to mess with the formula too much (eg, switching from Bendix to Slick or impulse to retard breaker). Thanks!

Latest posts

Back