• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Rod end Snafu

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out just where to post this as it can happen to any of our designs so I stuck it in this Safety Forum.

While getting my wings ready to cover I was fiddling around with the aileron linkage and just screwed a bunch of random rod end onto the push rods to check travels. The aileron bellcrank in one wing was somewhat limited for no immediately apparent reason. Closer inspection revealed that the random rod end I had screwed onto the push rod was not the Heim that I typically use. The body on the rod end in question was larger and did not saddle into the bellcrank lever as the Heim rod end did. So I am thinking what could happen if someone had to replace a rod end and could not get the exact same one that the airplane was built with. This rod end has the same mechanical description as the Heim but it is not the same. Had this been installed on a flying airplane it could have resulted in a bent threaded rod end(the insert in the tube) and that can become a potential failure point.
In the first photo you can see that the lever on the bell crank will travel all the way to the screw/nut plate on the spar. The second photo shows how much the travel is limited by the problem rod end. The other photos show where the problem rod end bound in the aileron bellcrank lever. You can see the damage on the problem rod end. If you change out a rod end make sure it is a proper replacement.

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back