• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Rose Parakeet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Flamini

Reaction score
Had to get this on the Forum. Bob flew our Miniplane in 1980 and had this great story;
N34253 was one of at least three airframes welded up by Jack Rose post W.W.II for Blackhawk Aircraft's startup
parakeetlakew.jpg
AA_Dec_1959_Rose_Parrakeet_N34253-001w.jpg
Fabian_Parakeet_3w2.jpg
, but was not completed by them. Hannaford completed it and sold it uncertified to Roy D. Pavlik with a Continental A-65 engine, 1 May, 1950. N34253 was not issued an airworthiness certificate until October 1953, when it was owned by Branson S. McKracken, Richard Fernades and A. L. Zum Mallen. In 1955 these owners had the engine replaced with a fuel injected Continental C-85. It was subsequently owned by several other Illinois pilots until it was purchased by Blackhawk Aircraft Co. Parrakeet S/N 02. The second inference is that N34253 was damaged or "pulled apart" by Fabian. N34253 was de-reregistered in November 1963. The "Cancellation of Registration Number Request" cites "AIR DATA 9-1-61" as the explanation. However, AIR DATA 9-1-61 was not included in the documentation I received. The online NTSB accident/incident reports start in January 1962 and do not have a report on N34253 from that time to December of 1963. However, there was an airframe/wing failure incident and Robert Fabian survived it, but the aircraft did not! Please read Bob Fabian's first person account below..

(email from Bob Fabian - 01/26/08)
Hello,
I am Robert Fabian, pilot of the Rose Parrakeet built by Hanaford that crashed in Peotone, Ilinois [Monday, 4 September, 1961]. The two right wings separated from the main fuselage on a pullout from a dive [at] approx. 140 mph. I bailed out at approx 400 ft. Pulled the rip cord from standing in the cockpit. The chute pulled me out and I had about a 10 second parachute ride and landed within 5 feet of the crashed plane. My glasses, wristwatch and my shoes were gone. Later found in the cockpit wreckage. Only injury was from legs hitting the stabilizer on being pulled out of the plane by the opening of the chute. Nothing was salvaged other than prop, which was later made to hold up the mailbox on rural route [and data plate as shown above]. Great aircraft, but had no flying and landing wires to brace the wing structure. [ Ed. Note: N34253 did have a flying strut to rear spar as do all Parrakeets built to plan. Doug Rhinehart beefed up wing attachments and spar widths on all A4Cs built for 85 & 100 hp engines. This airframe probably had original attachments and spars for A-1 thru A-3 series Parrakeets built for 40 & 65 hp engines.] Engine was Continental 85 fuel injected. Thank you,
Bob Fabian

(email from Bob Fabian - 01/28/08)
Hello Don !! ... Sending a couple of more pics for your files. Don't remember which of my friends took all of these photos so no credit can be given. Will send more info on your questions later. The lake is just background on the Parrakeet lake picture. My best to you. Bob Fabian
PS. Now living in Mountain Home, Arkansas where it's a little warmer than Peotone, Ill. !!!

(email from Bob Fabian - 01/30/08)
Hi Don! Thanks for answering my emails. I really appreciate your interest and the web site.
As to the major downer, you got that right. I had a solid buyer for the plane and a deposit. Washed and polished it to a gleaming finish and this was to be the last flight. .........Well, it was!!...... I sent the deposit back to the buyer with a note of apology. As to the quick thinking part. You are right about that. When I heard the loud crack, I didn't even look to see that the 2 right wings were gone, i just unbuckled the safety belt, stood up and pulled the rip cord, (which I still have).
Again thank you for bringing back some good memories and a little bad one. Paid $25.00 for the surplus chute from a druggist in Dyer, Indiana. Best investment I ever made.
My best to you and yours. Bob

Latest posts

Back