• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Rudder trim tab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4trade

Reaction score
What size is trim tab usually for Pitts rudder?
If i start to build Raven (i am very close to final decision) it start in tail and i need trim tab (bad right leg) for cruising speed that keep my right foot unstressed. I need to build mountings for that inside of a rudder and here comes a question: Have anybody of you try some kind of wedge for trim tab?
I really like smooth and beautiful lines and those trim tabs that come outside of a rudder line hurt my eyes. It is not very difficult to build that inside of a rudder like elevator, but it add weight and complexity. I think if i just put some light mount inside of a rudder and rivet small wedge type light aluminum trim when fabric and paint is done.
Other question: Is it more practical if i twist that rudder or vertical stab little bit? How much? Does that twist add some kind of bad side effect for flying characteristic?
I am open for all kind of ideas, so please give something to think for me!

Latest posts

Back