• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Runway Resurfacing Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Forum,
We have a paved private strip on the property which is in need of repair/resurfacing. It is 50+ years old and is showing its age with cracks and holes. The existing pavement is only about 1" thick and the divots are multiplying. I need advice on options for repair or resurface.

I contacted a recommended paving contractor and they gave me a quote to: pulverize existing, lime treat to 18", grade and compact, 3" of 1/2" type A asphalt. The quote was over $300K or $4.05/sq ft, WAY out of my budget. I suspect I asked for the wrong thing. So I need advice from the Forum. What should I be considering to prolong the life of this runway? What to ask for? How much should it cost? What processes can I do without and which ones are key?

Here are the specs: 1860' x 25' plus ramp and some additional. We are in Northern California so the climate is relatively benign - no hard freezes, no ice/snow, some rain in the winter and a lot of hot and dry. Used for VFR/day sport flying only - no heavy airplanes, no bad weather usage, not a lot of operations. Drainage/grading is OK today. We have been treating with herbicide to stop weeds (got to it late this year due to rains so you see some grass in the photos.)

I am attaching photos so you can see condition (gum pack for scale). Appreciate the wisdom of the group. Thanks for your advice.

-MarkM

IMG_5914.JPG
IMG_5915.JPG
IMG_5919.JPG
IMG_5916.JPG

Latest posts

Back