• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Ruptured Upper Wing Tanks and AVGAS Effects on Wood Wing Structure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VF84Sluggo

Non-Communist
Reaction score
Gents,

A Marquart MA-5 Charger I've been looking at buying had the upper wing tanks rupture due to the installation of motorcycle fuel caps that let air in the tank, but wouldn't let it out (like on my HD, the fuel has an overflow expansion drain line) Thus, after filling the tanks and letting the aircraft sit in the sun, the upper tanks ruptured due to expansion of the fuel inside, letting 10 gallons of AVGAS run back through the upper wing structure and out the trailing edge of the wing, all near the center section, maybe 3 to 4 feet outboard from center (and mostly to the right side, it seems.) Don't know how long it took for the gas to drain, how long the wood was soaked by AVGAS.

The owner couldn't fully answer if any attacking of the rear spar varnish, wood, and other internal wing parts had happened. Further, it seems no inspection has been done to look and see. Access would certainly be difficult, I agreed. But still...

I think this happed a couple of years ago, maybe less, but the airplane has been flown regularly since this happened. Anyway, I'm wondering if AVGAS attacks wing spar varnish, and/or the wood itself. Are there structural concerns here that would make a purchase unwise?

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back