• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S-1C v S-1D fuselage differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloopy

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]In order to resolve a type registration issue over a Pitts S1 I’m trying to research how it’s possible to tell an S-1 fuselage is a ‘C’ or a ‘D’ variant and also to form some view of its likely origin. I’ve read through all the fuselage forum posts and gained the impression that differentiation is a little ‘hit or miss’ as fuselages may have been modified over time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As a starting point I’ve pulled together the following:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Are there any fundamental differences in construction of a ‘C’ or a ‘D’? For example is the tubing of a different wall thickness or does one variant have more tubes than the other?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think I’m correct in thinking that the ‘D’ is an ‘S’ fuselage fitted with the ‘flat –bottom’ wings and chronologically came after the ‘roundwing’ ‘S’ which was developed after the ‘C’. Was the ‘S’ fuselage simply a late type ‘C’ or was it changed in any way specifically for the ‘S’? Is the ‘D’ fuselage exactly the same as an ‘S’ built to the Aviat plans?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The differences I’ve identified between ‘C’ and ‘D’ type fuselages include:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pitch trim. The ‘D’ has adjustable pitch trim whereas the ‘C’ does not although some may have been retrofitted. Thus all ‘D’s have weldments for a trim system and trim cable housing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Elevator hinges. The ‘D’ uses ‘strap’ type elevator hinges rather than piano type hinges of the ‘C’. Again some ‘C’s may have been retrofitted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fuselage length. The ‘D’ fuselage is 3” longer than the ‘C’ fuselage although later ‘C’s also had this lengthened fuselage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Elevator idler bearing. ‘D’s have an idler bearing midpoint in the rear fuselage whereas ‘C’’s don’t have this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brace at top of cabanes. Not sure about this as to whether there’s any difference?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Are there any other distinguishing features between ‘D’ and ‘C’ fuselages?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is it possible to distinguish a factory built fuselage frame from a homebuilt frame i.e. by the quality of the welding?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’d be very grateful for any input, corrections to the above.

Thanks to all in advance
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back