S-2A vs S-2B

Discussion in 'Pitts' started by Z32MadMan, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Mar 25, 2018 #1

Z32MadMan

Z32MadMan

Z32MadMan

Looking for some help trying to quantify the performance gains going from an A to a B model.

Is it a significant increase?

I realize the economic factors of running two more cylinders and am mostly interested in hearing how they fly and if it’s worth the extra coin.

Cheers!

2. Mar 25, 2018 #2

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

The B goes faster and higher with the extra 60 horses. Feels the extra weight and inertia during acro though. What competition category do you plan to fly? If just zooming around, a later "A" will do everything you want for less $$. If you are ready to give Advanced a try, get a "B".

The airframes are 99% the same. The differences in the engine installations are obvious.

Gyroscopics in either ship require a composite prop in order to avoid crankshaft problems.

Neither carries enough gas, although the "B" has a second fuel tank to offset its higher fuel burn.

Great airplanes,

Wes

3. Mar 25, 2018 #3

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Didn't Curtis say the S-2E was the best flier of them all?

4. Mar 25, 2018 #4

Loopdloops

Loopdloops

Loopdloops

Both are like flying a bus. The difference is one has a big engine and the other does not. I fly an A and it’s a great airplane if you like short vertical lines, slow role rates, and you are not in a hurry to get anywhere. Fuel burn is average and the range is short. It is a great airplane though if you are just looking to poke holes in the sky.

5. Mar 25, 2018 #5

grassroots

grassroots

grassroots

Premium Member

Maybe in light handling qualities (among the S-2 models), but the S-2E definitely loses substantially to the S-2B in raw performance and getting through Advanced and Unlimited sequences.

6. Mar 25, 2018 #6

Neil

Neil

Neil

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think he said it was the "nicest flying of them all", maybe not the best performing of them all.

7. Mar 25, 2018 #7

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

The S2A is a flat out dog compaired to the S2B.
    The A is very much under powered,is very slow to accerate on down lines.,and most of them had flat bottom ailrons,so the roll rate is bad.
    This is like comparing a 74 Ford pickup truck to a Indy race car,there is no comparison.
    Danny 007

8. Mar 25, 2018 #8

wzm

wzm

wzm

There are instructors offering transition training in both: I'd recommend going for a flight in each and deciding how you feel. The takeoff acceleration in a B or C is worth the money, no matter what you decide on.

9. Mar 26, 2018 #9

Gmovies

Gmovies

Gmovies

Overall cost of owning and operating an acro airplane depends on so many things. Insurance, hangar rent, annual inspection, parachute repack, common maintenance like tires, bungees, oil and fuel lines, etc., and big maintenance items like new covering/paint and engine/prop overhaul. And gas/oil. Most of these items are the same between an A and B. I don’t believe engine overhaul is necessarily that much more between the 4cyl and 6cyl. That really depends more on whether the case, crankshaft, cam, and cylinders can be reconditioned or need to be replaced. Prop overhaul is the same for similar props on the A and B. The B cost more to purchase but you get more back when you sell. The B uses more gas but you can pull the power back when you’re not doing acro. Insurance probably depends more on your overall experience and hours in type although hull value does have an impact. I feel like the overall expense is not that different between A and B. Like 5% or 10% perhaps? I believe when Aviat used to sell both the A and the B they were nearly the same price. They stopped selling the A because everyone wanted a B. I have not flown an A. I’d be curious if it handles better than the heavier B. I do want to fly an S2E. Curtis said it was the best handling of the S2 series. My B is super fun on takeoff. If you don't need the extra seat an S1S is no doubt the best bang for the buck.

10. Mar 26, 2018 #10

cwspilot

cwspilot

cwspilot

I've flown both the 2B and 2A. The B just feels heavy and not as spritely as the 2A plus it burns more fuel.
    I simply love my 2E which is just a amateur built 2A in disguise. It has a fixed pitch prop and is fuel injected with 10 over 10:1 pistons, balanced, port matched and polished 4:1 exhaust hotrod that gives me the bang for the buck.

11. Mar 26, 2018 #11

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I have time in the S-2A, B, and C. If you have the $$, the "C" has the control feel of the "A" plus the extra thrust of 60 more hp plus the Claw prop. But my "A" was $200K cheaper.

Best of luck,

Wes

cwspilot likes this.
  12. Mar 27, 2018 #12

tedrankine

tedrankine

tedrankine

oh oh.. better wait till this thread dies down if i want to sell my A. LOL

13. Mar 27, 2018 #13

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

I have tons of time in all three models.
    If u think the s2c feels like the S2A,you are smoking crack.
    There is no semularity between the two of them except the sticker on the tail that says Pitts.
    Danny 007

pigpenracing likes this.
  14. Mar 27, 2018 #14

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

Just buy a Eagle....
    Much roomier, they fly nice.
    Putting your passenger in is easy. Putting a passenger in the front of a S2A is like stuffing them in a 30 gallon trash can :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    smizo likes this.
  15. Mar 27, 2018 #15

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

Yes ,I agree on a eagle ,just can't teach in it for hire.
    Danny 007

16. Mar 27, 2018 #16

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

As you can tell, everyone has an opinion. Buying an airplane is not a lifetime commitment. At this point in your aviation experience, all of them likely have more capability than you do. So buy the one that you can afford to own. When your skills and budget get up to the level where you can tell the difference and you can get close to 100% of what the airplane can do, then think about changing ships. Or move to a monoplane... which is what most competitors do these days.

Best of luck,

Wes

PittsBird ZB and cwspilot like this.
  17. Mar 27, 2018 #17

Gmovies

Gmovies

Gmovies

I'm 6'4" 200 lb. Can't fit in the front seat of a Pitts S2A even the later ones. Pitts S2B and Eagle no problem.

18. Mar 28, 2018 #18

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Defenseman1

Registered Users

Funny thing not mentioned is "where" you plan on flying. I've had an A and B. Loved them both. A was somewhat lighter and was a hoot solo. B faster, helped out with the extra weight of a passenger, a bit more inertia, and really nice if you live someplace higher density altitude conditions abound.

19. Mar 28, 2018 #19

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Chris McMillin

Ha! Crack is what I was thinking when you said an S2-B was like an Indycar to an A being a '74 F-250!
    Maybe the B is like new pickup truck...
    Chris...

cwspilot likes this.
  20. Mar 28, 2018 #20

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

No that is for comparison sake.
    A S2B is not at all top of the heep,but darn sure a race car when it comes to a S2A
    If u want to talk real performance ,go get u one of the brand X mono junks
    Danny 007