• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

S1-C on eBay

cashflyer

Reaction score
Passing this along... 1990 Pitts S1-C #151202007871
$12,500

Seems to be cheap enough to cover the obvious problems - provided the 23 yo fabric is as good as the seller claims.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Huh, interesting, airplane is right here in my backyard. If anyone is interested in this I could make myself available for a pre-buy inspection.

Reaction score
From the dust and the splayed out bungee's it looks like this one hasn't seen some love in a while.

cashflyer

Reaction score
I didn't want to knock it too badly, in case it belonged to somebody here - but those are some of the "obvious problems" which I was referring to.

I think the ad implies that it has not flown since 2000.

I am interested in it but cannot justify it while I still have a Skybolt under construction.

cashflyer

Reaction score
FYI

Dear dbrown711,

FAA shows the registration status as "in question" and shows that a recent sale occurred.

• Do you have free and clear ownership of the aircraft, with all logbooks?
  • Has the aircraft been de-registered, or has the registration lapsed?
  • Does it have a valid and current airworthiness certificate?

Dear cashflyer,

The sale was actually in 2011, but we haven't registered it yet. So basically it has lapsed. There will not be any issues for you when you go to register the airplane. I will submit the registration with the sale (just to complete the paper trail), and when you send in your registration it will go through as usual. The registration rules save the N number to the airplane for up to 5 years after expiration. I have all the logs and build documents and the AW certificate is with the airplane.

Reaction score
What he wrote and what he meant may be two different things. He will send in the registration from the previous owner leaving himself out. Kind of sounds that way.

cashflyer

Reaction score
I agree.

Here is more FYI.
I asked if it was airworthy. Given this reply, and given the low compression numbers, weak bungees, missing instruments, etc, etc..... well, what is the real value for a "c" model? At this point, I'm thinking "cores" and "parts".

The airplane will need work to get it ready for flight. Its sat for a long time and will need to be gone through. At a minimum I was going to send out the carb, change fluids and plugs, inspect and run it to evaluate. I've also only assembled it for storage, so its not rigged and nothing is torqued. I would recommend coming out with a trailer to take her home and take your time getting her back in the air.

planegene

Reaction score
Well this is my thought and mine only.
The airplane has been listed a couple times before. I myself bought what I thought was a good deal last year. I even seen the plane fly before I purchased it. Well long story short, I paid $12,500 and by the time I am through with the rebuild ( i didn't think i would have to do) I could have bought a nice S1S! And I mean nice!
It's like a buddy of mine tried to tell me, if it sounds to good to be true. It is gona bite you.

Tomcat

Reaction score
I think it would be prudent to believe this airplane is much more project than it is flying airplane. And the price should reflect that, which right now I don't believe it does.

cashflyer

Reaction score
gene and Tom - I am inclined to agree with you.
I think this is going to need a complete refurbishment, and when it is all over you still have a flatwing "C". Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the "C" generally has a lower market value from what I have seen.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned a "C" and for my limited ability actually prefer them but one must understand that they have been left behind in the competition role......

That said, I think it's a rather nice example at first glance. Older Stitts if done right doesn't bother me that much but the engine is a concern,

Been sitting, I'd want to pull jugs on one side and inspect cam/tappets for rust. If rust, might as well MOH....

O290G with flange reinforcement. The "G" has the thinner O235 flange. There were several cracked/failures back in the early days. I personally suspect they were caused by cut down metal props and w/full length prop are ok for normal use. The "reinforcement" is NOT a reinforcement! It is a split contoured plate behind the flange held by the prop bushings. It may help prevent cracking but it's main function was to prevent loss of prop if indeed the flange did fail. IMO it is NOT a modification "for" aerobatics.... That said, with a decent prop I would not be afraid of doing moderate acro but since the S1C snaps so darn well....well, I wonder how long it would last.

Me, it wouldn't bother me but I'm not a serious acro guy, I'm a sport biplane guy who just likes Pitts Specials....(you ask why I have an SA750?..It was an "inexpensive" 2-place bipe project)

Final "opinion" Looks like nice airplane for limited use but engine a maybe.

Don't pay "too much"

If the cam/tappets were ok.....price was right.....I'd change bungees, rig, lemon pledge, fill it up and fly it home. (reminds me of mine in 1978-had my mentor ferry it home and then cleaned it up and changed bungees):)

FWIW

Jack

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now just have to watch and see if it gets relisted. I noticed the Starduster Too wentworth had on there was "sold" the relisted. Someone got a heck of a deal on it too. $3900 and that included flying wires!

bumper

Reaction score
I remember reading that crankshaft was specifically banned from iac contests.
Peter

cashflyer

Reaction score
I thought his ad said the O-290 crank had been swapped to an O-320 crank.

bumper

Reaction score
I have only seen reinforcing plates on gpu crankshafts. My parents have a Thorpe t18 with one. The thorp was designed around this engine and all the beef ups well documented. The reinforcing plates are one but I have not seen them on a 320 crank
Peter

bumper

Reaction score
But who knows it could be a 320 crank. I would just measure it.

Latest posts