• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S1 Spring Gear - axle attachment bolt torque

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richdolby

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the Forum - having literally just signed-up, although I've been browsing for a few months now.

So just a little background.....

I recently purchased an S1-S here in the UK. She was formally N18FW, built in 1971 in Florida. She had Spring Gear installed when first built, which included reinforcement of the lower Longerons. I have been told that the Fuselage was originally welded up by Curtis on the Factory Jig. She had Factory wings installed around 1977, and for this low-hours pilot is a beauty to fly!!

I recently had reason to remove the main wheel axles from the Spring Gear, and upon reassembly have realised that I have no torque figure available for the 4 x 1/4" bolts with all metal Stiffnuts used to mount the axles.

Can anyone help with the torque figure used in this assembly?

Greatly appreciated,

Rich D.

pitts-at-leicester---copy-7025.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back