• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S1-SS wing vs. S1S wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronM

Reaction score
All,

I've got a beautiful little blue S1S with a bunch of mods. Pictures are on my intro page, for those that haven't seen it.

So I bought a new hangar (HUGE PROJECT SPACE!) and the winters get a little cold where I reside. I'm thinking about taking on some winter projects to improve performance on my S1S. I've read that Spades cause a bunch of drag and whatnot and started considering the 'SS' wing/aileron.

My question: Does the SS wing/aileron kit that is sold by Steen or the Raven wing kit actually provide noticable performance increases? Will the roll-rate improve enough to make this worth the effort?

The idea started when I began considering weight reductions. I've done the lightweight starter, alternator, and smaller battery. I've also removed some instruments and revamped a bunch of wiring among other things. I was thinking about a full rebuild as there are some things that I'd like to rework from the origional construction. I got thinking, if it were worth it, I would start with building a fresh set of wings. Get 'em built and ready, test fit and rigged, covered, etc.. In my own sick little mind, that seemed like a great way to reduce downtime when the rebuild actually goes.

But is it really worth my time to pursue the SS? My Pitts rolls pretty quick as-is (gap seals and spades). It's rightunder 800 pounds with oil but no gas (penalized by the spring gear and stretched fuse).

I probably won't push this airframe past Intermediate or Advanced. I did, however, try some of the figures from Guido's Unlimited Free program and have no idea how the hell he did that. I would need quite a few breaks to make that one...

Latest posts

Back