S1C M6 mods

Discussion in 'Pitts Wings' started by race38, Apr 15, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Apr 15, 2018 #1

race38

race38

race38

Member Lifetime Supporter

So, I’ve collected a bunch of pieces I’m gonna assemble into a Pitts like airplane.
    I bought a set of Flat wings for a bargain and with a few mods will go with the fuse that Tom in Indy gave me the long deal on.
    A friend is helping with some of the mods and his airplane has the M6 but he swears the top wing is a modded version of the M6. I plywooded the leading edge 25 yrs ago but didn’t notice anything that indicated it was modified. His thinking is that it is “rounder” like the S has differing airfoils for stall characteristics.
    Has anyone seen or heard of this being done on flat wing?
    His was the only flat wing I’ve flown, so I don’t know if it performs like any others.

2. Apr 15, 2018 #2

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm not aware if any airfoil mods for the C wings but there were so many built at some point it had to happen. Just running the wings at the same incidence like the D wings was probably something that occurred to more than one builder.

Are the wings uncovered? If so it would be easy to make some templates for the top and bottom profiles and see what the differences are -- if any.

3. Apr 15, 2018 #3

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

Without a real measurement, you don't know if it is different and you don't know where it is different. Of course accuracy is always better to fly better. The margin for error on a non laminar airfoil is pretty loose.

4. Apr 16, 2018 #4

race38

race38

race38

Bill, they are still covered, and at some point we will be recovering them so measurements can be taken. And yes I would bet it WAS done to emulate the round wing stall.
    Tom, I agree.
    I was questioning if anybody knew if it was done!
    I have no desire to make airfoil changes, I’m being silly enough with other mods.
    Y B Nrml!

5. Apr 16, 2018 #5

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The guys who built the Texas Buckers years ago used extra capstrips glued to the bottom of the ribs. They had a jig made up to contour the added cap strip to give the Bucker airfoil a ''rounder'' bottom. Worked so well that Frank Price had one of the Texas guys, John Nyquist, modify his original Bucker wings. Gave them great inverted performance with no perceptible decrease in snap roll characteristics. Wonder if they tried to make an M6 airfoil into a semi M12?

6. Apr 16, 2018 #6

race38

race38

race38

Thx Ben. Brian’s Pitts came out of TX. Can’t recall the builders name. Sounds to me like it is a real possibility his wings are modified.
    I’ll pull the wings up in airfoiltools and see the differences.
    Thanks gang. Always get answers here.