• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

S1C or S1S Wanted

flyer21

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a nice S1C or S1S. Would consider an Acrosport I or Starduster I as well. Midget Mustangs and RV-3's also on the radar. Just looking for something fun to fly. Won't be doing any competing. Thanks for any and all replies with information on airplanes for sale. BK, Atlanta, GA

estepec

Reaction score
I have a Starduster 1 /O290D 125hp, very nice looking,flying and have recent photos. I'm looking to trade up to enclosed 2-4 passenger. Cessna/Piper. Let me know if interested and can chat. Ed

flyer21

Reaction score
Yes I'd like to see pictures of your airplane, a spec sheet and your asking price. I'll try to PM you my email address.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
The Pitts S1 is by far the best bang for the buck. You will never outgrow the Pitts where the others are just for gentlemans aerobatics.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Look at the Pitts S-1C in the video here. This airplane may be for sale very shortly, Barrett has been speaking of selling it. You can't fly those other planes you mentioned like this comfortable. The Pitts is Like a ferrari and the Starduster and acrosport are like trucks. I had a Skybolt last month that I loved and thought it flew excellent, until I flew a Pitts. I now own a Pitts and the Skybolt is gone, just my two cents. The S-1C can be bought very cheap, under $20,000 where the S-2S will be double that. Looks like Barretts 1C flies great.
http://www.steenaero.com/PittsS1/videos_flying.cfm

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I see someone has pitts-itis now he has one ;-).All the above mentioned planes have their plus points and negative points, and yes - including a pitts..

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Ok what is the negative points of the Pitts verses the acrosport I or starduster I? All I can think is positive.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pos and negs of any plane type is determined by what your experience in flying is, your physical size, what aspirations you have and what you want the plane to do for you. Think about that for a while, and you should be able to answer your own question.

pigpenracing

Reaction score

This guy is looking for a Pitts but would maybe settle for something else. Just saying if he really wants the Pitts get the Pitts.

estepec

Reaction score
I flew a Pitts and own 2 Stardusters. Each have pro's and cons. The Pitts aircraft was to tight for me and uncomfortable whereas the Starduster 1 fits very well. Each have their own characteristics and I'm for comfort with occasional fun and cheaper insurance. The nice thing abot the Pitts is I can store several of them in the hangar and only a few Stardusters could fit in the same space. Enjoy whatever your flying and be safe.

exp2ex

Registered Users
Reaction score
I agree with "the best bang for the buck".
IMHO , there is nothing like a pitts.
I had a super acro 1 and it was maybe 30% of what my S1S is. It was fun but just not a pitts.
The inverted flight characteristics of the S1S are excellent. Spins , all ways are fun and very controlled.
The locking tailwheel has yet to let me down. I like it.
A 200+ hp s1s is enough.
Big rudder is good as well.
Wide gear helps.
Cold air induction and 4 into 1 exhaust are nice add on's
I could go on and on about all the extras that are available and there is tons of support.

Latest posts