• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S2-B's on barnstormers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
As this forum knows, I've been searching for an S1S for 18 mos, and I think I'd still prefer that, but the wife now says she'd prefer I get another certificated airplane, rather than Experimental. (I own a turbo Mooney already, and after the breathtaking prices of parts, for example, $1200 for an ammeter for the heated prop, I wanted an Experimental.)

In any case, I'm now in the market for an S2, and I'm thinking B hits the sweet spot. I have 10 hours in a C model, but they're a lot more $$.

There are three very nice looking B's on barnstormers right now, all ~$90k, all with ~800 hours, all about the same age (early 1990's). Two have three-blade MT props; the other claims recent renovation.

I sent email to all three and will call them if I don't hear back. I'd like hear from this forum how they would approach this: which looks better & why, what to look for to differentiate, what to ask, who to do a pre-buy in those areas, etc.

For example, the prop: the C I flew had the Claw, which other B owners have told me is the best, but expensive. The Is the MT 3-blade significantly better than the stock 2-blade, and what would it cost to upgrade the refurb'd B at Aviators Unlimited?

Interesting - a check on FAA Registry says N287PS (the refurbed one at Johnny White's) has a canceled reg, exported to Mexico. Indeed, one of the pics has a Mexican registration painted on it. No bueno?

thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back