• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S2S aileron bellcrank geometry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an early factory built S2S (SN 1004) that had Raven ailerons (30% cord brought in 2 rib bays) installed around 2006 prior to me owning the aircraft. I am recovering the lower wings and trying to fix a few issues with the original modification. Currently the control stick aileron stops are set at nil allowing full throw of the stick, but the control linkage limits the ailerons to less than full deflection with quite a bit of differential throw. I attached a picture of the aileron bellcrank which is different than what I have seen on an S2B (not sure how the early S2As where configured). The lower arm is shorter and the angle between the arms is greater than 90 degrees. The S2B that I rebuilt long ago had both arms the same length and the angle between them was less than 90. Also, both push/pull tubes from the idler to the bellcrank and bellcrank to the aileron at at their limit so my plan is the refab one of the bellcrank arms and fabricate new push/pull tubes that will be the correct length.

My questions to the group are:

1. Did the early Frise aileron S2A's use the same bellcrank as later S2A and S2B aircraft?

2. Anyone have older bellcrank hardware laying around they want to sell?

Thanks in advance, I'm just trying to gather some info before I start cutting and fabbing new bellcrank and push/pull tubes. My goal is to reduce the stick movement for full throw on the ailerons and get them a little closer to symmetrical displacement.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian Correll Airshows
www.briancorrellairshows.com
facebook.com/briancorrellairshows
[email protected]

IMG_3200.JPG

Latest posts

Back