• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Seat Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlRice

Reaction score
<div align="center">Seat Fabrication

20061114_215849_SeatFrame.JPG
To build the seat frames, I drew the the layout on the table and screwed down the jig blocks. I mitered the tube ends just like I did with the tubes on the fuselage a station 0-0, I first rough cut them to a 45 on the bandsaw and then finished them on the 12" sander. I drew a guide line on the top of each tube to help keep them oriented when cutting and sanding.

<div align="right"><div align="left">Like everything else on the Skybolt fuselage, you should build a jig to hold
20061114_220125_Fr&
everything in proper position and the seats are no exception. This is the jig for the front seat. It's pretty simple since there are parallel tubes directly under the seat sides.

For the rear seat, I elected to use notched 1x2's to hold the seat frame in position.
20061114_220308_RearSeatJig2.JPG

Clamps hold the seat tubing in position. I leveled the fuselage laterally and then made sure that the seat bottoms were level from side to side.
When welding the seat frames to the legs try drilling a 1/16" hole in the seat frame to relieve the pressure and keep your welds from blowing out. Weld up the hole when done.

Be sure to measure from side to side in the fuselage so that the seats are centered and square to the fuselage.
<div align="left">
20061114_220405_Fr&
By now, notching simple tubes on the bench grinder, like those for the front seat back, is a piece of cake.

Latest posts

Back