• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SeatBelts

SPAIRINC

SPAIRINC
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for a Very Good and Economical Source for “Aerobatic Worthy” SeatBelts. I am operating a 300HP Skybolt with double belted seatbelt system.....yet they are over 25years old. Would like to have a lightweight, worthy and uncomplicated system in mind...... Ratchet type seems interesting. Basically, this is a Sportsman Aerobatic Profile. Thanks, Dan

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tdwrv8

Registered Users
Reaction score
Crowenterprizes.com
Excellent products and customer service. He will make any belt you want. I purchased some 2" mini ratchets and he made some belts for my sons acro II. He made the belts for my RV and Clip Wing. Fred crow. Give him a call.

Last edited:

tdwrv8

Registered Users
Reaction score
Allen Silver has retired. You are right, he does great work.

SPAIRINC

SPAIRINC
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are great..... this web site/forum is the best!

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hooker Harness is one of the best in the world and certified too if needed.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did say "economical" Me, I look for "cheap". The race car stuff will certainly do the job. I've had a set of the RJS in the Spezio for almost 10 years, 140 hours and a BUNCH of cycles and they look and function like new.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
IAC suggests, not requires, double belts for Sportsman. You can download the rulebook from the IAC website.

An E-AB does not need TSO-ed belts. That said, I am not aware that the race car folks have ratchets on their belts and everyone likes ratchets in their aerobatic aircraft.

25 year old belts are fine if they have been taken care of. The fading of the color is an indication of sun damage that can indicate replacement is needed. Strong did a test that put webbing out in the sun for different lengths of time and then broke the webbing on a test machine. Their report compares the fading of the color with the degraded strength.

Folks don't wash their belts but that is a good practice every few years, especially the shoulder belts that get a lot of sweat and seat belts in Cessna/Piper/Mooneys/Beechcrafts that get stepped on a lot.

Best of luck,

Wes

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use 2" race car belts for the secondary lap belt with the same ratchet tdwrv8 mentions above, works great. Primary system is 3" 5 point harness without ratchets, also a race car system.

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Crow has made custom belts for both my Skybolt and Hiperbipe. Very happy with them, and reasonable prices.

flyinlo

Reaction score
Allen Silver has retired. You are right, he does great work.
Allen seems to be very slowly retiring. First he moved from Hayward up into the Sierras, then he sold his chute packing business, now getting out of seatbelts and harnesses but still remains a Softie dealer. I miss being able to drive to his shop on my lunch hour to get my chute packed, but I hope I can ease into retirement on my own terms like he's doing.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
Funny, I was thinking about easing into retirement by leaving the high-tech world and packing parachutes with maybe some flight instruction too. Everyone's idea of "retirement" is different.

Best of luck,

Wes

Latest posts