• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Sheet Metal Combing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 38

Reaction score
I was viewing some photos on line and noticed that some Bolts have Sheet Metal CombingStrips or tabswelded to not just the top longerons but also the lower longerons on a tangent to pickup the sheet metal at the lower longeron. I have not done this and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the necessity of doing this. What I have done is to simplyattach the side panels to the belly panels with 8-32 screws and nutplates spaced every 3 inches.It fits tight andcertainly seems strong enough. I am trying to avoid welding any more in that area only because I have it all in expoxy final coat. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back