• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt 540

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I'm in the process of selling my beautiful S1D and I'm looking seriously at buying a Skybolt that is perched right next to my D, in my hanger.

So, I have many questions, some I don't even know about yet.

1st and probably most importantly is, I have a Grass strip on my farm with 1400' useable one way in and out. There is another 600 feet after crossing a 12" raised stream culvert that is more of a severe bump at typical touch down speeds. The first 400' after the culvert is level with the main section of runway and then there is an additional 300' section that climbs 20' in 50' and then approximately 150' level on top and my neighbors field is another 800' unobstructed to a tree line. It has a great approach in. Try and visualize this, this is one time a picture isn't worth much, you can't see the topo so I will try and describe it, best I can.
Cross the tree line hard slip to loose altitude, first aim point, is the flat on top of hill, (approach and departure end). Then first flare across the top, lower the nose set up for second aim point, on the wrong side of the culvert, flair and drag it across the culvert/stream. Put my wheels down on a flat 400' section, Then the moguls start, first tilts 4' in 30' to the left then drops, then a level mogul ( small hill ) that drops a few feet and then a steady climb the rest of the way approximately 700'. I cut the grass less deeply as I get to the end of the runway that has a 30' drop down to a heavily traveled 2 lane feeder road (Semi's). For the departure end in my Decathlon, I use an extra 150' curved, roughly an elliptical runway and I was usually off the ground before it joined to the straight section of the runway, excepting hot days.
Soooo. Can a Skybolt with a 3 blade constant speed and 540 angle valve and 6 into 1 on extended gear, play on a runway like mine, Elevation 625 in North Carolina. 235# pilot w/chute, fuel and potentially a passenger?

I have pulled most of the panels off and to my surprise found a big block of lead in the tail. The plane originally had a 360 and was converted to a 540 angle with a 3 blade CS??
I mostly fly by my self but adding all that extra weight up front and then having to add all that weight in the back, something in the neighborhood of 30 to 50#s guessing.
I have only had time for a cursory look through the books.
Anyone flying a conversion like this one I would love to hear your thoughts about its performance. Like, feet to wheels up, climb rate, approach speed, over the fence speed, three point touch down speed.
Can one snap a plane designed with a 360 and converted like this one with lead in the tail. I'm 67 and won't be pulling until blood is streaming out of my ears and but I got rid of the Decathlon because I couldn't snap it.

The plane has a cable from the rear panel via a spring and cable for pull pressure on the right rudder forward.

I haven't heard the engine yet, needs a battery, but had recent bottom end rebuild and new ring set from a certified shop.

What should I be looking for. I just want a plane I can get bugs and mud on. Compete sportsman/ intermediate, fly friends occasionally and watch sunsets upside down.
I have been looking through past threads and have found some info that is helpful, if you can steer me to threads that have already covered my issues, I would appreciate it.

Is there anyone near me that has experience with 540 skybolt/conversions that I could get to look the plane over, fly it and give me feedback. I am not looking for the best example of a Skybolt just a plane, me and my some of my friends can have fun with.
Peter

Latest posts

Back