• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Skybolt Control Stick Assembly

scottly

Reaction score
Control stick has been modded for bearings and removable front stick, and also phenolic bearing mount to fuse...Construction of which was documented on this board.

$100 as pictured, including rod ends, including shipping to Continental 48 states, USA.

****SOLD*****

2012-07-25_19-22-48_6.jpg

Last edited:

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Dang...that's a lot of time savings for $100! Wish I was building.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone building a Skybolt needs to buy this....that's one of the toughest parts of the build, and it has the phenolic mod. Nice.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
.....and it has the phenolic mod......
For those of us without specific knowledge, what is this mod and why is it a big deal?

scottly

Reaction score
The Skybolt torque tube rides on a steel collar bushing. When greased properly and aligned properly when installed, it is smooth. However, due to condensation, misalignment, etc., the steel bushing can bind on the steel torque tube. Accessing it to lube it can be a real chore.

Phenolic doesn't rust, doesn't bind, and requires no lubrication. With a little dry graphite added, it is virtually maintenance free and smooth as silk.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
OK, the phenolic acts as a thrust bearing. Is there any end play or can it be set up line-to-line and still be smooth and free (and will it stay that way)? Phenolic is somewhat abrasive, maybe oil-filled nylon would be another choice.......

If I were building a Skybolt I'd look at doing an S-2 style torque tube where it rides entirely on ball bearings but I tend to put ball bearings just about everywhere in the control system. I even considered the S-2 system for my S-1 but went with the more conventional KP-6 up front and the plain bearing aft.

scottly

Reaction score
End play is adjustable with the positioning of the thrust collars. The thrust collars are on the tube and need to be welded after installation in the fuse, allowing smooth motion even if slightly misaligned.

My initial stick plan was to use a Torrington-style bearing, and if you go back and look at part 2 of my stick build, i actually built the bearing holder. Problem is, there would be no way to remove the bearing once it was on the tube. Bearing failure/wear = cutting tube assembly apart to remove it. The bearing cage also prevents it from being lubed through a fitting, like a bushing.

So, phenolic it is. Worked out really well.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A looked at doing that too. As you say, it's a poor design from a maintenance standpoint. The S-2 design suspends the entire torque tube below the bearings which are two bearing cages with KP-4 bearings welded to the fuselage. The entire torque tube moves in an arc as it pivots and the aileron push rods mount near the bottom of the torque tube. The elevator system works like a typical design even though the torque tube swings. The KP-4 bearings are accessible for maintenance or replacement without using any destructive tools. :) The Model 12 uses the same design. Zero end play.

Latest posts