• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt (Experimental Aircraft) LODA for Training BFR Instruction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_Wolfe

Aerobatic Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EAA, as well as the FAA and NTSB, strongly recommend that all builders and new owners of experimental aircraft undertake a thorough transition training program before flying their own aircraft solo for the first time (during Phase I testing or otherwise).

We just completed receiving a Letter of Deviation Authority from the FAA in order to allow us to teach those building or transitioning to a Pitts, Great Lakes, Skybolt, Starduster, Acrosport, or similar aircraft using the Skybolt we own in Pompano Beach, FL. The Miramar FSDO here in Florida was great to work with and getting the letter was not that difficult. If you’re a CFI, and you own an experimental aircraft, I recommend getting the LODA. The EAA and others can help, too. I am by no means an expert and I don’t intend to put the letter to much use but I have it for the future – and pretty much, once you get it, you have it until you no longer want it.

The only additional items to be aware of is you’ll be required to do 100 hour inspections (the same as a condition inspection) and that inspection (the 100 hour) will have to be done by an A&P or IA (there was some discussion about whether or not a Repairman’s Certificate – ie if you were the builder – would suffice. The FSDO here decided that it doesn’t for a 100-hour inspections, but since I can’t do my own condition inspection anyway, it didn’t matter).

The intent of the letter is to allow those prior to beginning Phase I testing to get some time in a similar aircraft, or for those who purchased/are purchasing a similar airplane. The training can also be used as a BFR. The approval states:

Overview

Federal aviation regulations section 91.319(a) prohibits the for-hire use of experimental aircraft unless a deviation is provided in the form of a Letter Of Deviation Authority (LODA) issued by the FAA. The LODA allows type-specific transition training to be offered for hire in the specific aircraft listed in the LODA. The instructor providing the training must also be listed in the LODA.

LODAs do not permit flight training leading to the issuance of a pilot certificate or endorsement (i.e., tailwheel). Training for aerobatic flight maneuvers is also prohibited. Flight training considered acceptable under a LODA consists of, but is not limited to:

• Initial or recurrent flight training for the operation of a specific make and model of experimental aircraft.

• Training for a flight review in a specific make and model of experimental aircraft.

• Instrument competency training for specific make and model experimental aircraft.

• Formation training for specific make and model experimental aircraft.
Since completed Skybolts can vary significantly in avionics, engine, and cockpit configurations, this training is not intended to prepare the student for a mastery of the specific configuration of the training aircraft. Instead, this program includes enough specific training to provide the student only with the information that he or she needs to be able to learn the flying characteristics of the type. This philosophy especially applies to operation of the avionics and fixed-pitch propeller.

If there is anyone interested in applying, let me know… I’ll attach the template I used and help as best as I can through the process. I can also attach the actual LODA from the FSDO if anyone wants and a copy of the Syllabus we put together. Sonex and EAA both have a sample syllabus you could use.

Latest posts

Back