• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt Flop Tube & Engine Failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_Wolfe

Aerobatic Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So today I was out with the 1986 Skybolt, with the baffled fuel tank, and everything up to now has been fine but haven't done a lot of negative-g aerobatics.

Started with 25 gals of fuel, landed with 12-13 gallons. Last thing I did today was inverted flight for 10 seconds. After rolling out and doing a 1.5 turn left spin, about 30 seconds later, engine quit for about 2 minutes before I could get it restarted. Prop stopped but a hit on the starter got it windmilling again. Thankfully I had lots of altitude.

My first thought is the flop tube: How long is the flop tube in the Steen Tank? I don't think it's ever been replaced (the logs don't show it) so it's probably more than due. Aircraft spruce has flop tubes but I don't know the length.

I also thought I'd check how the inverted vent is set up - we have the marquart gear so it's not run down along the gear, but I know it drains on the right side of the cowling (drooled on my feet a few times).

But most importantly, now that the heart rate is back to normal: Any other things you guys can suggest to check?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back