• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Skybolt for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
Well, I hoped this day wouldn't come, but I have to let my project go. I have a complete skybolt, minus: wiring, battery, and fuel lines, however I have a feeling they're in a box here somewhere. I'm having to sell to cover other projects, and my business. I'm open to offers.

Please reply to this thread!

You will find pictures of the project here: http://www.biplaneforum.com/showthread.php?t=9144

It has been 'in progress' since the early seventies, here are some of the key points:

fuel injected 4 cylinder lyco
wing walks on both sides of the cockpit
freshly repainted frame (speed yellow)
lots and lots of extras (bolts/nuts, books and information)

it truly is a complete plane, just not quite assembled. If you have any questions please let me know!

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sad to hear you have to pass the project on. It will be helpful to potential buyers if you list a price, and where the project is located.

Vetteman

Reaction score
Yes please list location and price. The link does not have pictures.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures I took tonight.

The project is located in Hampton Iowa

I'm open to offers feel free to message me and we can discuss that.

There is a ton of parts that go with this, I don't think the pictures do that justice, there are most of the publications too, and a beefy stack of paperwork, and booklets for the things like the fuel injection system.

It is setup for aerobatics, the fuel tank and oil system are correct for inverted flight, it also has the extra wing tank.

I did repaint the fuselage (2015 Corvette 'Speed Yellow') as the aft section appeared to only be primed, and I didn't really like the 'Southwest Airlines Orange' it had been painted.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

20170122_202019.jpg

20170122_202026.jpg

20170122_202036.jpg

20170122_202040.jpg

20170122_202052.jpg

20170122_202058.jpg

20170122_202107.jpg

20170122_202116.jpg

20170122_202119.jpg

20170122_202132.jpg

20170122_202135.jpg

20170122_202143.jpg

20170122_202243.jpg

20170122_202259.jpg

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George,

I'm neutral not interested in another airplane. I really think you should name a price, like $XXXXX.00 or BO. I personally need to know if the seller and I are on the same wavelength before I will bother to call.

I also believe a price is required per forum rules?

Regards,

Jack

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
Didn't know that Jack,

Well I know the market isn't great, but if you were to buy all the parts from Steen to get where this project is at, you'd be looking at a much higher selling price (yes I know that isn't necessarily realistic, but I have to start somewhere). With that in mind, I am asking $70,000 or best offer, and no, I won't be offended if you send me an offer!

George

*EDIT*
ASKING $50,000 CURRENTLY LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED

Last edited:

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
I did say to make an offer, I've got to start somewhere. Am I probably going to get what I'm asking, no, but I need to have an asking price. For what's there, 70,000 isn't unreasonable to believe that's the physical cost of the materials. I do know I'm not going to get the actual value, so give me an offer of what you think it's worth (or straight up tell me what you think it's worth, even if you aren't interested in buying it).

I don't have to sell the plane (nor do I really want to) but selling it would resolve a few problems.

I don't think what I'm asking is unreasonable, especially since I'm open to offers. Just because I want 70,000 doesn't mean I have to have 70,000.

ASKING 50,000 OBO IF YOU'RE INTERESTED LET ME KNOW

Last edited:

inverted25

Reaction score
I would say from watching the market if you get 1/3rd what your asking id be surprised

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
WoW. You're correct...buy all the $$$ raw materials and put thousands of hours in building and then you will realize you just basically turned a $100 bill into an $20 bill...maybe. Sucks but there was a fantastic newly completed Skybolt on here that sold in the $40k range. Unless it's unique or exceptional, that seems the norm for most Skybolts, Starduster Too, AcroSport 2, Charger, Great Lakes etc etc etc. There is a nice Skybolt project on Barnstormers that was asking 60-70k for...its been on there years. Not saying he doesn't have 100k in it. But part it out of you even remotely want to recoup money is only way...and then it'll be hard to get half your asking price I think.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
Well I am open to any offers, I might reevaluate my asking price, but I'm not desperate to sell the plane, and this is a complete aircraft, everything is there, minus the wiring and some hoses (fittings are all there). Also the dope might not be usable anymore (don't know the shelf life). It's in excellent shape and been very well taken care of. There isn't a lot of work left to do to have a flying plane, and there are tons of extras. What does a Lycoming go for these days anyway?

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Regarding my own project, I am at the fabric stage, everything else is done. Mine will be a good catch for somebody if I ever sell it (hopefully long after completion). But even if it's an excellent build with a 0 time IO-360 with 40 hours flown off, I would think I would post mine for sale at $55k OBO, and just hold my breath....that's how poor the market is, today. It sucks.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
Good point Beej, will the shocked gasps stop if I'm at $50,000 OBO? (and yes I am teasing) like I said, I won't be offended by offers, so if you're interested, let me know. I'll do some digging and find the info for the motor and fuel injection system this evening.

George

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
George,

Please. I hope you are sitting down.

With all due respect, I'm almost sorry I asked. I was almost going to say,

Figure what you would like to have for it and divide by 2.

As others have said, that is how terribly awful the market is. Indeed I suspect dividing by 3 may be closer to reality. Only caveat is condition of the engine which I don't recall? Of coarse a brand new engine properly stored is worth more than a run-out w/o logs. Value of engine + flying wires($3500) plus $5000-7500 equals realistic value.

Another way to look at it is to estimate the commercial cost to cover/finish the aircraft? Maybe $30,000. Add that to your hopeful $70,000 and you have $100,000 into an airplane worth maybe $50,000 and that only if a new low time engine after Phase 1 has been flown off.

Sad fact. Many of us have estimated that to build a biplane from plans today will cost twice what the aircraft will be worth.

Regards,

Jack:eek:

Last edited:

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
'Open to offers'

'don't necessarily need or want to sell'

If someone offers me a decent price for the project I'm going to consider it, but this is for someone who wants to build it, which is why I got it.

I could take the engine and subsystems off and sell it for ~15 if I wanted to. I don't want to, I'd rather sell it all to someone who will finish it.

ndlakesdreamer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Skybolt project last fall. It's not as complete as yours but there has been a ton of work completed. It has nothing firewall forward and everything FW aft. After a good inventory I believe the "everything" to be accurate. If it's not built the the subassembly is there to build it. The previous owner spent 10 years trying to get 8000.00. I paid less than the value of the flying-landing wires.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wow at $70,000 obo. I buy a lot of stuff, off Craigslist, internet and privately..If someone prices something that high but wants an offer? I almost always pass as they are still being driven emotionally.. Something I have seen in some of our pilots getting divorced whilst one is still holding on. After years of effort, money and hard work, the separated androgen isn't worth a fraction of the sum anymore. I paid for a nearly flying Skybolt the value of the core engine.. Mine was pickled and ready to go, took me a month to get it flying. Most Projects aren't pickled as the builders seem to think they won't take that long to finish. Good luck with your pricing structure, I honestly think if you really want to sell it, add up the hardware cost and divide by 3. It does look like some really nice work, be proud of your work, no matter what you end up getting for the project, the price doesn't reflect your work.

George_Pfaltzgraff

Reaction score
Cactusav8r,

I've already said I'd go down to $50,000 in a post, I'm not necessarily emotionally attached to the aircraft, I just don't need to sell it, or for that matter want to. If someone comes along and offers me a price that I find reasonable, then I'll sell it to them. Until then you guys will keep telling me how ridiculous it is to ask 50-70k, which is fine by me. If I still have the plane in ten years, it'll probably be flying. Right now it'd be nice to have a little capital for my business, and a little more room in the shop. It won't hurt me if neither of those things happen (trust me if it was that way ya'll would know). Considering how much capital it would take to just snap your fingers and be where this project is currently at, (not to mention time, the po had been at this since the 70s), 40-50k isn't unreasonable. The fuselage and wing from Steen cost more than that, and you're still short a lot. If someone wants a big head start, but still has some meat on the bones for building, this is their project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts