• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Skybolt for sale

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well gee i hate to see this, what is a shame, after all that work and money, but someone will get a good airplane. Dave

f18shack

Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That really sucks you need to part with it so soon after finishing the job. The airplane looks great.

AQAdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it's still here. I've got about 12 hours on it and its doing great. Hopefully get the transponder cert done tomorrow.
Number is 661 733 6649 if you would like to talk?

Andrew (Andy) Duncan

This was my baby - Sold it. Need a replacement!
Reaction score
Just finished a two year rebuild of my Skybolt. My life is changing and unfortunately the Skybolt isn't in my future. I'll post pictures this weekend but I wanted to get it out here before I put it on barnstormers. You can see some info here: https://www.biplaneforum.com/threads/my-skybolt-rebuild-log.16380/

Asking $45K and can deliver
***************************************************************************************************************************
I went to take look. WOW!! Rick has done an amazing job!

Complete tear-down, blasted and repainted the fuselage, rebuilt the wings - new ribs, new plywood leading edge on the upper wing, basically replaced or refurbished just about everything right down to to cleaning and having the flying wire fittings refinished with cadmium plating. This basically it is a "new" airplane. Polyfiber fabric and Polytone paint -- not the brilliant shine of urethanes but, in MHO, the perfect finish for fabric airplanes.

With air Air Force?? Navy?? motif -- silver fuselage, yellow wings etc it is a very nice looking airplane. I LOVED IT!!!

Engine is a Lycoming IO360, less than 1050 hours since new and about 200 hours since tear-down and overhaul (IRAN) (all documented!!) the engine looks beautiful with red powder coated valve covers and intakes. SS braided oil and fuel lines; Christian Inverted system (overhauled) -- clean as a whistle and no oil leaks. It has a complete suite of engine monitoring systems connected to a Dynon "glass panel" with steam gauge backup. iPad mini in BOTH cockpits with maps and ads-B out. Cheap and easy to add ADS-B IN if you want.

Prop is a brand new Catto prop custom built for the plane -- and as an added bonus, the Skybolt has a smoke system installed.

Nicely upholstered cushions of varying heights to suit different sized pilots and passenger -- and parachutes!

Empty weight 1130lb. Great documentation!

Rick is a DAR and it shows in the quality of workmanship and care and attention to detail.

Recently I have looked at a lot of biplanes and this has to be the nicest and best equipped I have seen!!! It was EXACTLY what I have spent thousands of dollars searching for!! I was more than ready to offer the full asking price with no haggling!

So why didn't I buy it??

I flew on Alaska Air to Burbank and drove to Mojave to look at the Skybolt. On the way to PDX at 4 am I was really dazzled by the oncoming lights and had real difficulty seeing the road. Once I was in the Skybolt cockpit I realized that I could not read the glass panel displays -- so instead of offering to buy it on the spot -- I told Rick I needed to think about it -- and returned home. I was a tough night! The driving issues and the inability to see the glass panel made me realize that I had long been in denial about vision problems (in spite of passing the medical) -- a check with the doctor the next day revealed advanced cataracts -- so I grounded myself until the cataracts are "fixed" and I am fit to fly again. I am totally gutted and pretty depressed today -- but better that than put myself or others in harm's way.

SO -- if you are fit to fly and want a lovely aerobatic biplane in GREAT condition -- and already ADS-B compliant -- Contact Rick. 661 733 6649
Be quick -- once the surgery is done . . . . . :)

Last edited:

AQAdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I sold the plane. Kind of a bittersweet day as I put a lot of work into this airplane but hopefully the new owner enjoys it and it is a trusted ride for him. I'm leaving Mojave-KMHV for Ohio- KDLZ tomorrow. Gunna be a cold trip but hopefully we have fun! I'm taking my friend ,Chris Gomez,who did all my wing rebuild work. He's my wingman-sorry couldn't resist :)

Andrew (Andy) Duncan

This was my baby - Sold it. Need a replacement!
Reaction score
Congratulations Rick. I was really hoping it would not sell until after my cataract surgery was done (scheduled for early November) . . . . . Somebody has bought themselves a beautiful, and well restored airplane!

AQAdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Rick. I was really hoping it would not sell until after my cataract surgery was done (scheduled for early November) . . . . . Somebody has bought themselves a beautiful, and well restored airplane!
Andy I also wish you could have gotten it. I might have been able to visit it! I posted it on Facebook on a whim. Sold the next morning!

Scottman

Piper Flyer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Dude - Can you please help us. Our friend (mjk51) passed in October leaving a 90% complete Firebolt. Mike began building this Firebolt in the nineties. He has it ready for covering. A 250 hp IO540-C4B5 (878 SMOH) and 3 blade composite prop was installed on the airframe and ran. What's it worth?

Attachments

Aerocruz

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to read this news about Mike’s passing. Such a nice man with such passion for his Firebolt project. I very much enjoyed swapping stories and comparing notes about our Firebolts. Blue Skies, Michael and God bless you, Brenda and your family. Look forward to seeing you in Heaven, my friend!

Airplanebarn

Slow building a Starduster Too . Love Tailwheel Fl
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I sold the plane. Kind of a bittersweet day as I put a lot of work into this airplane but hopefully the new owner enjoys it and it is a trusted ride for him. I'm leaving Mojave-KMHV for Ohio- KDLZ tomorrow. Gunna be a cold trip but hopefully we have fun! I'm taking my friend ,Chris Gomez,who did all my wing rebuild work. He's my wingman-sorry couldn't resist :)
Well Lucky US ! I’m not to far from there , I’ll get to see this Nice Biplane I Person !!
Terry
Jackson, Ohio

gmatejcek

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow- I'm very sorry to hear of Mike's passing. My limited conversation with him was very pleasant and informative. Condolences to his family and friends.

Latest posts