• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Skybolt for sale.

Doug Schenk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steen Skybolt, A&P built/maintained. 260 HP Lyc. GO-435 Inverted oil & fuel. 390 TT, 390 SMOH, Bendix PS5-BD pressure carb. New 6 into 2 exhaust system, Hookers front & rear, full length sliding canopy, spring gear, Skytronics Intercom, Older (say no) radios, ceconite good, needs paint work, numerous spares. Located Niagara Falls NY. Selling due to purchase of Pitts S-2C. Doug. (716)597-5739. First $25,000 takes it.

Attachments

Ralsmark

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug, looks nice in the photos. When was it completed? The propeller looks huge, what prop does it have?

Mark

Doug Schenk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plane was finished in 1977. The prop is 93 inch Hartzell CS set up to be cockpit controlled variable pitch (no governor). Also have an Aeromatic prop that need some work. Firewall forward is set up like Art Scholl’s Chipmunk. Large diameter prop due to geared engine.

Last edited:

airplanegeek

Reaction score
My brother was asking about this one. I cant imagine that engine being very desirable for a bolt. How’s it fly?

biplanebob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother was asking about this one. I cant imagine that engine being very desirable for a bolt. How’s it fly?
When it was built in the 1970's, that engine was probably available cheap.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine was quite successful in it's time. This is one of many examples.

"Scholl Super Chipmunk
A number of Chipmunks were modified as aerobatic aircraft in the United States as the "Super Chipmunk". Along with an uprated engine, the aircraft underwent an extensive makeover including clipping its wings, adding retractable landing gear, conversion to a single-seat layout, adding an autopilot and being fitted with a red, white and blue wingtip and tail smoke system. The control stick received a three-inch (76 mm) extension for greater control during extreme aerobatic maneuvers. For over 25 years the Super Chipmunk in its distinctive bright colour scheme of blue stars and sunburst effect was displayed by the aerobatic pilot Art Scholl. Four Super Chipmunk conversions were modified, Scholl's N13A and N13Y, Harold Krier's N6311V and Skip Volk's N1114V. Another more recent "Super Chipmunk" was converted by air show performer, Jim "Fang" Maroney who similarly modified an ex-RCAF example by strengthening the airframe, replacing the original 145 hp (108 kW) engine with a 260 hp (190 kW) version incorporating an inverted fuel and oil system, clipping three feet off the wings and adding 30% more rudder and 10% more elevator. A spatted landing gear was retained. Another similarly modified "Super Chipmunk", N1804Q, is owned and flown by air show pilot Greg Aldridge. N13Y is now on display at the National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Udvar-Hazy Center at Washington-Dulles International Airport.,[24] while N1114V is preserved at the EAA AirVenture Museum at Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA.[29]"

If the engine is in good condition and running well I bet this would be a great ride. Downside would be very high price of parts if needed. Like all lycomings I'd be wary of cam corrosion. It
might be cheaper to buy and/or rebuild a IO540 then to do any major work on a GO435?

Jack

Doug Schenk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine is in good condition & running well. The geared engine with big prop makes it a great ride but it’s not an S-2C. Nor is it $160,000. Plenty of major engine spare parts for almost 2 more engines. Have been collecting engines & parts for years.

Rome

Reaction score
Doug,

My father and I own a Skybolt that was built by a Ralph Schenk back in the late 70s. Any relation?

Doug Schenk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plane is still available. Shortly after listening the Covid Virus piqued again so I took the plane off the market until Covid settles down. I’m busy with making changes to my Pitts for now. I’ll relist the plane for sale in a month or two probably. Thanks for your interest. Doug.

GmoneyPilot

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to see more pictures when you got time.

Timbob

Reaction score
What a paddle of a prop! Maybe a little close to the ground though. It looks good all around.

Latest posts