• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt History Article

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I thought some of you might be interested in this early article about the Skybolt. It is from the June 1972 issue of Air Progress. This was my introduction to the Skybolt. I read and re-read this article and sent off for the plans. I still have them, although I bought an updated set when I decided to start building this year.

I have uploaded the 4 page article, one page at a time to keep the size within the limits for uploads:

uploads/20060902_205330_AP-Skybolt-p1.pdf

uploads/20060902_210701_AP-Skybolt-p2.pdf

uploads/20060902_210845_AP-Skybolt-p3.pdf

uploads/20060902_211055_AP-Skybolt-p4.pdf

I met with LaMar Steen in 1974, and he suggested I modify the plans (back then) to make the gear legs about 2.5 in. longer so it would land in full stall. I noticed the new plans have incorporateda similarchange. During my visit Mr. Steen took me for a short ride and did a barrel roll. It was this ride that sold me on the Skybolt, I just had a few distractions that kept me from building it earlier (like college, wife, kids, their college, etc.). Here is a photo I kept from September 1974:

20060903_200250_skybolt-6-0.jpg

Enjoy,
BobbyEdited by: Bobby

Latest posts

Back