• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

SkyBolt history

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am looking at a SkyBolt for sale in Trade-A-Plane and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the history of this plane or, better yet, if the owner is a forum member would he please PM me.

The owner is David Allen of Lafayette, Georgia. Engine is a IO540 KLX135A (whatever all that means?) Its listed weight is 1251# which seems a little on the light side for a 540.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Randy

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think the 'KLX-135A' refers to avionics...good to see ya back on here Randy!

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi John,
Just looking around at whats available. I am thinking I am not going to be able to build from scratch again so I might buy a flying aircraft. I am surprised that I did not hear a single thing about that SkyBolt. I thought someone would know something about it.
I am currently passing my regular physicals so I might have a chance at passing a flight physical. Not sure I want to try cause if I fail I cannot fly LSA either. If I don't fail a physical I still can fly in that class anyway. I am looking at powered gliders, LSA and reg planes. No idea what I will eventually do, just looking things over.
I am currently fighting smoldering myeloma. A disease of one of the proteins in my blood. I was told a year ago that I had a 75% possibility of it turning into cancer of my blood. I get blood checks every two months and the results have been going down hill for the last 4 months. If I get a bad report in April then I get to start treatment - no idea what that will be and I don't ask then I don't worry about it. When that time comes I will do whatever it takes. All I know is that the doctor said,"we have made great advances in replacing the old radiation and chemical treatments." WHOOPIE, I said :((
Thank your lucky stars for your health John.
Talk to ya soon
Randy

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Good hearing from you again Randy. Glad modern medicine is working.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/1588754.html

The description says it's a Hale Wallace build...if it is, it should be built well - and light, since he was known as a weight-saver, I believe. I also once read somewhere he did build 3 (but I thought yellow bird was his 3rd and final). Someone on here should know this plane. The serial#'s after -540 are avionics: http://www.bennettavionics.com/klx135a.html. The price seems a little accented in this economy, for an open cockpit, but if it's a Wallace plane and with an expensive IO-540.....

At least you won't need an inspector if you go and see it; you're a walking encyclopedia on building these 'bolts...

christopher

Reaction score
It's a good looking Biplane! Keep us posted and Best Wishes! Medicine has come a long way Put up the good fight!

Skybolt540

Reaction score
It was built by Hale. I have some photos of it in-process, nearing completion somewhere.

Latest posts