• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt IO-540 Propeller Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topflight2

Reaction score
18 months ago, I purchased a Bolt. Since that time, I've gotten my tailwheel rating (1500 hr MEI pilot) and put a canopy on it. Between those two items and two long winters in central Illinois, it has become quite the hangar queen - much to my dismay.

In prep for good weather, and because of those 18 months of hangar queen time, I am currently having the annual done and everything checked out by my local A&P.

I've just been advised that an outstanding AD on my Hartzel prop will necessitate a prop shop inspection for about $3k. This will be needed every 5 years, and my A&P tells me that this prop is so old that parts may already be difficult/impossible to find.

I'm considering just going with a different/new prop for the IO-540.

Several questions:

1) can you/should you put a fixed-pitch prop on this sized engine?
2) since most of my flying will be local/aerobatic (maybe) is there a need for variable pitch prop?
3) what are opinions on 2 blade vs 3 blade props?
4) fan-favorite props for a Skybolt w/ IO-540?
5) general opinions from Bolt owners on this?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back