• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Skybolt on Craigslist

jefferts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah, I spotted that one yesterday too. That "All of Craigslist" search is a real time sink for a craigslist junkie huh?

Reaction score
At least they put a price on it. Usually when the kids want to cash in on mom and dad's stuff they hit the aviation forums with "what's it worth" posts. I hope the wings weren't "glued" with L26 sheathing resin.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Think the parents are still around... I asked about the scratched canopy..

pmgrant0922

Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Many thanks to JohnS for directing me to this forum and forwarding my parents' ad. Below is an updated description of the project, and at the Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fhmbqjzys90j21l/AADhMWxOcYQrFCKkwL4gAJlja?dl=0 are all photos.
Please let me know what questions you have, and I'll contact my parents and get the answers soonest.
Thanks,
Paul
-----------------------
**Updated 6JAN15**

This project plane is located in Atkinson, NH.My father began building this Skybolt for my mother back in the 80s when she competed in aerobatics. He never finished it, and it is at their house. The fuselage and wings are nearly complete, but need covering. The motor was bought as a core and is at TBO.The prop is brand new.

We are not looking to make a profit, just recover some of the money spent on motor, prop, and kit parts. We just want to get rid of it since this project will never be finished. Below is a listing of what we have.Please contact me for more info or questions.Thanks, Paul

-Instruments purchased from Wag-Aero:
Both the passenger and pilot panels each have
-Altimeter
-Airspeed indicator
-Manifold pressure gauge
- RPM gauge

While the pilot panel also has:
-Amps & Volts meter
-Cylinder Head Pressure and EGT
-Fuel Pressure gauge
-Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature
-a G-meter

-Two canopies:
Both ordered from The Airplane Factory in Dayton, Ohio.While my father was working on the holding tracks for the first canopy it was resting on the Skybolt, but not attached to its holding track.The canopy slipped off of the Skybolt and fell to the floor, getting a small scratch on it.The scratch is easily sanded out and polished smooth so the scratch isn't noticeable but he wanted a perfect canopy.So he ordered a second canopy, which is new and untouched, with the manufacturer's tag still on it.
**(Update 6JAN15): the scratched canopy had been cut and formed to fit the cockpit.I will get pictures of the shaping that was done on the first canopy.

-Wings:
Glued with L-26 epoxy by Chem-Tech.All of the wing spars and ribs are made of spruce, ordered as part of a wing kit from Wisconsin.

-Fuselage:
Has been kept indoors in their garage; my parents pulled it out to take the pictures for this ad.The 4130 chromemoly steel for the fuselage was purchased from the Dillsburg Aircraft Works south of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.We have two fuel tanks - one is a 10gal tank that sits in the middle of the upper wing that is not internally baffled for inverted flight. The main tank is 24-26gal and *almost" complete. All it needs is the aluminum top welded on it. The main tank *is* internally baffled.

-Engine:
This is a used 260HP Lycoming I0-540-D4A5.The Serial Number of the engine is L-5906-48. First installed in Piper N6297P in Feb 1968, and removed on October 14, 1981.Parents bought the engine clean inside and dry - there is no oil in it.This engine was removed from a Piper PA23 on Oct. 14, 1981.My father bought it as a TBO core engine.He did NOT have it overhauled.It's never been run or the engine turned on.It has just sat bolted on the Skybolt fuselage in their basement for almost 30 years.
**(Update 6JAN15): the SN# for the crank is 75038.

-Propeller:
Brand new in original plastic and crate constant speed from Hartzell in Ohio.The model # of the prop is "F88477A-4", and the serial# on one blade is "F 53118", and on the other blade is "F 53109". The Cylinder Hub of the propeller is Model "B 2428 - 2" with its Serial Number being "CH" or "GH 2469". (my parents can't make out in the logbook whether it's "CH" or "GH."
Our Steen Skybolt has no registration.My father originally registered it as N6KG but he gave that up to the FAA for another pilot with the same KG initials who finished his first.

-Miscellaneous:
Set of brand new building plans for a Steen Skybolt. My parents bought an extra set of Steen Skybolt construction plans after their first set was damaged. This set is new and unopened.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
At least they put a price on it. Usually when the kids want to cash in on mom and dad's stuff they hit the aviation forums with "what's it worth" posts. I hope the wings weren't "glued" with L26 sheathing resin.

Folks, I read KnightTwister as saying "USUALLY When the Kids" as an example of the USUAL..
This is NOT the case here..and he didn't seem to suggest it was, to the contrary..

This is the UNUSUAL instance of someone helping their parents or someone else, by putting it on Craigslist WITH A PRICE and NOT JUST joining a Web forum pleading for a fair price. I know in my short tenure here, I have already seen that. THAT didn't happen in this case.

I emailed the gentleman that is selling it for his parents about the Scratched Canopy and told him I pasted his Craigslist add on here, I believe that's the only reason he joined in....

JohnS

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people just don't have manners and sometimes the types word comes across in a way the writer did not intend. Hard to tell the difference. And sometimes the person couldn't care less either way.

pmgrant0922

Reaction score
Gentlemen and Ladies,
Two updates as of 17JAN16:
- spoke to father and the wings were glued with T-88, and NOT L-26.
- I've added pics of the Rattray cowling and engine access sheetmetal at the Dropbox link
- TT on the engine is 2105

phantomkid

Reaction score
If this skybolt project is still available , can you please call me at 704-291-1843 thanks
serious buyer.

Latest posts