• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt Pipes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wandersen

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Have I already used up my weekly allotment of questions on the forum? I'm thinking this is probably it for at least a week. :eek:

It's amazing what you can find while hanging out at the airport. (If the boss asks, I was really working hard on the "project" - not specifying exactly what the "project" might actually be.)

I ended up scoring a set of S2B headers for a good price. I've installed them on the engine for fit, and did a quick mock-up of the tail pipes. I wanted to see fit and clearances with the existing frame and engine mount.

It all looks very straight forward to build and mount. I should be able to get these built up at many of the various aircraft exhaust fabrication facilities around the Twin Cities.

I have 1.5" clearance from top of the the exhaust ramp. I'm pretty proud of the easing of the edges on that ramp (Thanks Smizo for the idea). I'll weld tabs to the tubes behind the lower firewall for hanging a spring to hold the tail pipes right on the firewall. I don't see any other clearance issues.

Question is whether I need to have the pipes down lower, given the bunge gear opening directly behind. I attached a picture of Yellow Bird for comparison.

Do I want to flare these pipes wider than the 1.75" on the tail pipe?

001 (640x401).jpg

002 (640x483).jpg

003 (640x429).jpg

004 (543x640).jpg

007 (640x424).jpg

Gear Truss Cover (640x480).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back