• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Skybolt project w/0 time IO-520D23M now not for sale

Skybolt67

Reaction score
I don't have time to finish working on my project and shop that is completing it for me is costing too much. It has a Continental IO-520D23M 300hp(285hp continuous)0 time with inverted system. Emphenage poly fiber covered and painted up through silver. New Steen Aerolab lower wings poly fiber covered and painted up through silver. Upper wing 4 years old recovered poly fiber and ready for paint. New RV dual prop controls. Fuselage repainted and ready to be covered(I have envelope from Aircraft Spruce and paint supplies to cover and paint up through silver), all new instruments including ICom A200 radio, Garmin 327 mode C transponder with blind encoder and the list goes on for instruments. I can post pictures from shop working on it. Final rigging is being done for final paint. I have spent alot of money on this Super Skybolt. I also have $5,000 down on an MT 3 bladed constant speed prop with steen aerolab. My Skybolt has a spilt firebolt nosebowl from Steen aerolab also. I have alot more information on my Skybolt plus pictures. $45,000 obo. It already has an airworthiness certificate and was built back in 1989. It was flying with an IO-470, but has an IO-520 now. There is only a five pound difference between the two engines and the 520 uses the same mount as the 470.

shop jobs 047.jpg

shop jobs 049.jpg

shop jobs 052.jpg

shop jobs 216.jpg

shop jobs 217.jpg

shop jobs 051.jpg

Last edited:

Skybolt67

Reaction score
not dual prop controls, dual controls, throttle, mixture and prop

Skybolt67

Reaction score
Engine alone is worth $30,000. I actually looked at Continental Motors Inc., and a rebuilt IO-520D23M is $31,848.00.

Last edited:

Skybolt67

Reaction score
I'll start posting some pictures now. How do you post pictures? figured it out. All instruments in panels and everything wired. Not shown is radio, transponder and encoder which is already wired and ready from avoinics shop in which their mount is already done and was test mounted to back of front seat. Like I said, emphenage is done up through silver, rudder, horizontal stabilizer, and elevators ready for final paint. Upper wing is ready to paint up to silver and final. The fuselage is ready to be covered with sock(envelope) and painted. You pick your favorite colors. Covered with Poly Fiber. There is so much to tell, it's hard to put it all down at once. It will be quite a biplane when done. I'll add up my invoices and can tell you it's more than $80,000. So at $45,000, I'm loosing alot of money. Would consider selling engine separately. I have alot more pictures than these and there's more work that's been done than what the pictures show. Found picture with radio and transponder/encoder in it. I also forgot, the upper wing has the auxillary tank in it.

Last edited:

Skybolt67

Reaction score
Work is still being done on it, if it doesn't sell before it's finished, it's price will go up when finished. There are also wing walks on both lower wings.

Last edited:

Skybolt67

Reaction score
Let me rephrase, when it's done, I won't be selling it, I'll be enjoying it. By the way, I have more pictures, and all the sheet metal work is done. It is open cockpit also.

mitchb

Reaction score
Is there an update..?

Please PM me if still avail (and current build status...)

M

Skybolt67

Reaction score
My number has changed for anyone still interested. It is now 941-426-1541 or 941-258-7479(cell). I will be starting work on it again in a few months, so the price will go up then.

Carlyle

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They did a very nice job on radiusing the I struts. Do you know what they used. Wood Aluminum ?

Skybolt67

Reaction score
My project is still for sale. I have moved to Tennessee, and it is now in my garage. The owner of the shop that was working on it has retired. I'm just having a hard time finding time to work on it. My new number is 865-234-7086 and 865-274-6941 if anyone is interested in it.

Skybolt67

Reaction score
If there is anyone interested with experience in building and would like to make some extra money, I'm looking for some builder's assistance so I can get this plane done and back in the air. Me and the plane are in Eastern Tennessee. You can message or call me.

Skybolt67

Reaction score
Or if someone knows of a reputable builder's assistance company or an A&P IA who could use some extra money.

raymoeller

Reaction score
Such a shame to see something like that sitting around for 3 years and not be finished.. so ultimately bad bad bad for the engine..

Skybolt67

Reaction score
engine and plane have been in a climate controlled environment and are in another one in my garage. The engine has been taken apart and inspected and is cherry still.

Skybolt67

Reaction score
Starting to get moving on it now, upper wing painted up throw silver, moving on to covering the fuselage. Gonna fly my money out of it. Should be a rocket ship with that MT prop on the nose and 300hp!

Nate

Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for pre
Reaction score
Wow, beautiful bird. Good luck, keep it moving..

Latest posts