• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Skybolt Project

dgidzinski

Reaction score
Absolutely complete minus FWF. Call for info and photos. $17K firm. 502-845-2777Dan

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Is this the yellow and black bird? Guys if this is the one it is the nicest skybolt I have ever seen.

dgidzinski

Reaction score
Shawn,That's the one. I just sold my prop and governor to Jake, the fellow that bought your old Skybolt.Dan

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Why dont you post a picture on here and barnstormers. I bet it will be sold really quick. If you want I can try to put a picture up. I still have pictures in my email folder.

dgidzinski

Reaction score
If you have a picture or two you can post it. Thanks. I am on the road and don't have access to photos of it as my laptop had a hard drive failure a while back and I never bothered to put them back on this computer. I have photos on the home computer but I won't be home for a couple of days. Thanks again.Dan

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Here is Dan's beautiful 540 Bolt. $17,000 what a deal.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it has a canopy. It just needs to be installed:)

dgidzinski

Reaction score
Just to clarify, my intent is to sell this as a project, meaning pile of parts with no a/w certificate or registration. I know that will be a challenge. I also know that the pile of parts is well worth what I am asking. I figure since I have a job and a house that I am a target these days. If I wanted to assume liability, I would have kept the airplane in one piece and sold it for 50k-60k. The reason for doing this is that the pleasure of flying it is quickly erased by the $4.50 fuel, insurance cost, taxes on all the above etc. I can afford to keep it but am beyond my threshold on pain. If someone is trying to kill general aviation, they are doing a fine job.The next step if this doesn't work is to sell parts off it. Next after that is a bonfire in my backyard. Not kidding.Dan

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Before you start that bonfire I would love to come pick those parts up and take them off your hands.

Xavier

Reaction score
4.50$, that's for a Gallon I guess ?In France, conversion gives about 9.45$/Gallon :)Obviously our administration is even more competent than yours as to how to kill GA...

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to admit, I'm tempted by this. I saw this airplane at Lee Bottom over the summer, and it is immaculate.

What would be a person's options on getting another airworthiness certificate on this airplane? From what I understand of the regulations, I couldn't get it reinspected and get a new A.W. cert. under the Experimental/Amateur Built category because I couldn't prove that I built 51% of it.Would the Experimental/Exibition category be the only possible way to legally get this airplane back in the air?

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've always heard justanecdotal evidence of being sued for building an experimental airplane that another owner puts in the dirt but I have NEVER actually read of such a case. Seems like a little histeria to me. Shame to make such a fine plane unairworthy. How does one do that anyway? Not sure it can even be done once it's certified.
Best regards,
Brad

Reaction score
This is the nicest Skybolt that has ever been built. I watched it being built over the last 16 years or so and got to help when Dan needed an extra pair of hands moving saw horses or carrying bulky parts around. The fit and finish of this airplane would make Hale Wallace proud, and Hale could lay down a nice finish. Dan snuck this in on me, we talk or e mail almost every day and he must have forgot to tell me. 17 large for these airframe parts is the aviation bargain of the year. It don't need no stinkin' canopy.

Sky Rider

Sky Rider
Reaction score
Is this plane still in one piece? as I'm still looking, and the dollar is still up there.

rafranco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a Skybolt ... is there any way to get an A/W certificate so I can have it shipped to Australia?
Anybody has got some ideas?
Thanks.
Best regards,Roberto

Tyabbtoo

Reaction score
You would be importing an experimental aircraft Roberto, so it does not need a US export CofA. Register here as an experimental and all good. Looks an absolute bargain.

Latest posts