• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonanzadrv

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a skybolt project. I looked at one and when comparing the fuse to the plans (mine are dated 94) All the tubes matched perfectly from the firwall back to the sta 85 (rear pilots shoulders) but from there back there was not a single tube that was like the plans. The top and bottom had the cross members spaning much further, where the plans show steeper angles resulting in shorter spans. I thought it was a mistake. I am now looking at another project much farther along and I am excited about buying and finishing it. I see it looks like (from pics) that it is built the same way!!! Does any one know what the plans looked like before the 94 update??

I was thinking I could add more cross members but now am thinking wieght.

The other thing is this airplane has routed ribs not built up ribs. I would perfer the lighter and stronger built up ribs but are routed ribs a reason to say no to a whole project??? According to the late hale wallace they are only 7.5 punds heavier.

I hope this all makes some sense. I will try to add a pic of the fuse soon. I hope to soon become the newest skybolt builder and I know I will need to lean on the experence in this forum to get the bird flying

Thanks in advance

Bill

Latest posts

Back