• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Skybolt Search

jkkallina

Reaction score
Hello to all
I live in Sugar Land, TX and I’m looking for a Skybolt to purchase. The ideal set up for me would be the D model with an IO-540 & 3-blade prop. Any advice and leads would be much appreciated. Thanks

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hey JK,
Still looking huh?
Best regards,
Brad

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Whats wrong with the one in Katy with the clipped wings and 540? Have you looked at that one?

jkkallina

Reaction score
I just do not like the clipped wing. I would like to have something built 2000 or after.
Thanks for the heads up

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I got a Pitts S-2C you can own...
Personal preference I guess but I think the clipped wing maks a way better Skybolt. I hear is makes the roll rate alot better. That one on Barnstormers with the stars looks good. Good luck on 2000 or newer.

jkkallina

Reaction score
I'm not that interested in a better roll rate. My aerobatics will be pretty minimal. I wanted to purchase a F1 Rocket but can't afford it. I like a Stearman as well but again can't afford it....

darylat8750

Reaction score
"I wanted to purchase a F1 Rocket but can't afford it. I like a Stearman as well but again can't afford it...."
Wow, big range of airplanes on the "possibles list". You do know how slow biplanes are, right? We are talking 1/2 the speed of a Rocket for most of them.

Have you considered the AcroSport II?

I wouldn't get hung up on a specific build year. The year on the papers is the year completed. Many are long projects. Home builts aren't like factory planes. An airplane that was completed in the '70s may have been nicely updated and one that was completed in 2010 may have been built to '70s plans with none of the mods that have been shown to be improvements.

jkkallina

Reaction score
Yes I am all over the field. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I just want something fun and feasible to operate, with a little HP. I am not really looking for something to go from point A to point B. I operate a King Air 300 which is good for that but just hurts the pocket book. I thought the F1 would be fun plus very practical for vfr cross country flying. The skybolt would not be as practical for cross country but still feasible in my mind. I would enjoy the open cockpit joy riding around home. The Stearman is just a beautiful airplane but I cannot justify owning or operating at this point in my life
Any thoughts on the D model Skybolt?? I like the increase fuel capacity

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am not aware of any D's flying yet...tis relatively new..

darylat8750

Reaction score
There was a guy in Southern Ca. a year or so ago that had one that had not been flown yet but was advertised as ready to go. From the pictures you could tell there were a few things that it still needed. He was trying to sell it or find a partner if I remember correctly.

darylat8750

Reaction score

Yep. That is a D and the one I was thinking of. As I recall it needed to have Bernie turned loose on fairings and canopy fitting.....

Does anyone know if it has flown yet?

JimW

Reaction score
Nope, that is not a Curtis Pitts designed D modification for the Skybolt. The D model uses sway and stagger wires similar to a Stearman or a Model 12. Not to say it doesn't accomplish a similar result, but that is not the real deal. No doubt is a one-off.

Jim

darylat8750

Reaction score
I see what you're saying Jim. It was advertised as a D.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

That airplane is actually using a cabane set up from a Starduster. There were a couple of these built way back.

Edited by: Neil

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Eric Schilling is the name that comes to mind. His son has the airplane now(not the one pictured) and he has been on the Forum.

Edited by: Neil

Latest posts