• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt Tailslide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlprince

Reaction score
I was out flying this week doing hammerheads and wanted to try a tailslide. I enterd the vertical and just held it with power on. The result was a short slide with a wheels down pitch to a vertical nose down. There was very little control snatch but I was holding the stick tightly expecting it to be worse than it was. Then I proceeded to try it again cutting power as the airspeed went to zero. This resulted in a drastic slide. The reverse wind was very noticable and the resulting elevator snatch was pretty violent. The plane flopped wheels down and rotated past vertical almost to fully inverted before recovering to the vertical downline. Enought for one day. After getting backto the hangar and inspecting all controls, I didn't see anything bent or damaged however I do not think the elevator is built to handle such forces. I don't think I will be this agressive on my Bolt in the future.

Latest posts

Back