• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt Training & Tailwheel Transition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC_Wolfe

Aerobatic Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently (as far as we know), we are the only authorized Skybolt biplane transition training in the USA. Located in Pompano Beach, Florida, if you are looking for Starduster, Pitts, Skybolt, or similar biplane transition training, let us know. We have an FAA approved LODA that allows us to provide biplane transition training in our experimental Skybolt.

Check out our website at https://wolfeairshows.com for more information! Also, we have a Cessna 140 which allows us to give tailwheel signoffs (if you need one). All Skybolt training requires you to have a tailwheel signoff first...

Until April, 2019 the Skybolt is undergoing condition inspection/upgrades.. and there is an airline job that keeps us busy... so contact us as soon as possible to reserve training times.

For youtube videos of training, please visit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaobADm2mySMMNjtFP43J5w

Make sure to like and subscribe!

Last edited:
I started watching the skybolt acro vid you have on youtube but had to shut it off in fear of having a seizure...…. why did you speed it up and just not let it play at normal speed?

We have an FAA approved LODA that allows us to provide biplane transition training in our experimental Skybolt.

I would be very interested in what you had to get your homebuilt approved with a LODA. I am just finishing my CFI and would like to do this with my Starduster Too. My first call to the local FSDO left me with not much hope of doing it. Any info would be appreciated.

Happy to pass on the LODA to this forum, as the local FSDO folks were very nice after the ramp check...

Attachments

• Skybolt-LODA-Transition-Syllabus.pdf
    83.4 KB · Views: 221
Currently (as far as we know), we are the only authorized Skybolt biplane transition training in the USA. Located in Pompano Beach, Florida, if you are looking for Starduster, Pitts, Skybolt, or similar biplane transition training, let us know. We have an FAA approved LODA that allows us to provide biplane transition training in our experimental Skybolt.

Well, we are a casualty of the recent increases in insurance... We've stopped doing any instruction in our aircraft.

It requires way more volume than I could provide, unfortunately, to spread the cost out... Unfortunately it seems that insurance companies don't look at the individual vs. school when it comes to instruction. Or instruction experience (imho). They didn't even ask my dual given: Only whether or not we would provide dual instruction

Insurance put the helicopter company I worked for out in December. Just doing cleanup work now soon to end. It’s a mess. After the article came out my boss spent about an hour talking to the article writer. He said he is unpopular in the insurance industry for telling everyone the truth of insurance is going to get payed.

I have to say, the insurance industry as a whole is putting itself at a disadvantage by intentionally pricing out qualified folks like DC Wolfe who are making an effort to provide dual instruction in these perfectly safe yet quirky sport biplanes. This will lead to more pilots trying to transition to bipes on their own without getting any sort of dual or ride-along checkout with consequent increased claims for avoidable airplane damage such as busting the plane up in a ground loop. Ignorance is never cheap.

Latest posts

Back