• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Skybolt Turtleback

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Turtle back made for a Skybolt with a RV8 style track for a Sliding canopy. Asking $500. for it. I also have the tracks for the sides $100.
OBO.

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

littletootpilot

Registered Users
Reaction score
hello
does this come with the canopy as well?
very interested! also where are you located?
thanks james

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
canopy? no

The part in the back ground fits a different back.

This is newly fabricated, not used. Only the Grey Turtle back and the rails are being sold.

Athens, Alabama

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have pics of it on a plane? What canopy bubble is used? Very nice looking. I really like the idea of being able to remove the while turtle deck for inspection times.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It was being fabricated for my Skybolt, was not completed and there was no bubble built. The side rails could be used for another type canopy I assume, but I wouldn't want to separate until the turtle deck finds a home.

56turtledeck.jpg

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder: 205% completed
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking turtle deck... I like that side door.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It seems very well made, I have no need for it. If someone wanted a sliding canopy made like the RV this would be perfect. it's a lot lighter than the old canopy set up I have. I'm leaving mine Open Cockpit. The Skybolt folks sell the wooden premade kit for a bit over $500, this one is pretty much ready to go, I think there are a half dozen rivets left to put in.

Lil Rascal

Registered Users
Reaction score
I would be interested in a sllding canopy.. as well.

Doc

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The "other" canopy I have that I don't use, must be made of lead, it's heavy. This set up I think could be/would be much lighter as it's anchored in three places, the track runs down the turtledeck. The original I also have was built in the mid 80s and has tracks on each side, the arch is for a third turtle deck that I do not have, if fits nothing I have. Still I am going to keep that one. It looks like some of the ones on the Firebolt.

Latest posts