• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Skybolt upper spar splice and repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avpro91

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The project I acquired came with a set of wings that were damaged. At first I was just going to build new wings, but the upper is intact and good on the left side, so don't really want to start from scratch if I don't have to, and it looks like splicing the spars is possible to repair the upper wing. The lower right wing has to be totally rebuilt.

So the front and rear spars on the right side were both broken off one bay outside the I strut. There is only 10 inches between the fittings for the flying wires/I strut and broken end, so splicing onto the broken end isn't an option.

Thinking the best place to splice is about midspar in the middle of the drag/anti drag wires for the bay and far enough from the flying wire attach points and Aileron bay and hardware on the aft spar to meet AC43.13 requirements. Any spar splicing/repair experts here?

I uploaded some pics and put a red line where I'm talking about splicing at.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg