• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Slick Start/Mag issue - Help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
So the engine is on. All hooked up, no joy in Mudville - The engine will not start. I now need adult supervision.

Exec summary:
* No spark while the starter is engaged, it will spark when the prop is freewheeling.

* Slick and starter key the same old setup, both seem fine.

* Engine and mag are both fresh OH and they engine was test run.

* I have an A&P/IA that helped with the install.... You don't think I could do all this alone do you? but he is also at a loss.

I have a Slick start, Bendix mags with no impulse coupling. System worked well the last flight in Oct before the engine ate a valve and destroyed itself. So basically a new engine/Mag.

Here is what I know: The starter switch and slick start are the same ones that last started the engine. I have tested the slick start using the volt tester method (tester on #1 and Ground, 12V supply added to VIN and Ground.... And JUST realized that VIN might stand for "voltage in"). Worked. The 5A fuse between the starter and the VIN on the slick has been checked and is good.

So in my mind the starter switch and the Slick are fine. They were working and the engine eating itself should have had zero impact on them. They were not removed during the swap. This leads me to think it is the installation, or the mag itself.

As for installation. On the Slick the #1 goes to the key (and has not been changed) #2 is void. #3 is going to the retard breaker on the Left mag. VIN is power from the starter. Ground is going to the left mag attached to a screw where the plug wire cap is screwed to the back of the mag.

The mag has been timed and we have checked it (Open the cover, rotate to find the red tooth, pin it, rotate to TDC#1 align the starter ring gear to the starter or center of the block. Bolt the mag on, remove the lock pin, attach a buzz box to make sure they fire at the same time). But we did have to remove it to hang the engine.

Symptoms: Well for starters, the damn thing will not start. We are getting fuel evidenced by having to drain the fuel from the plugs when we pulled them. There is no spark when the starter is engaged. HOWEVER, we are getting a spark after the starter motor is turned off and the prop is freewheeling. This leads me to think it is an issue with the retard timing of the bendix mag, or a ground issue with the Slick.

I have checked all the wires. They all show continuity. The only issue was some chaffing on the retard wire where it turns 90* to go into the back of the mag. I put some "liquid tape" over it as a bandaid... I currently have bigger fish to fry, on in this case 'not fry' because I can't fire up the cooker.

I am at a loss. The only possible issues I can see:

* The retard wire is chaffed and my bandaid didn't work. It might be grounding to the cap.

* I might have the ground to the mag on the wrong part of the mag. It is attached to the screw at the plug wire cap. I do not remember where the grounding wire was attached.

* Is it possible to put the plug wire cap on the mag wrong? I know it can only be rotated one way because of the trapezoidal design. But could I have screwed the connections up?

* Something in the mag is "off". But the test shop ran the engine with this mag and there own start system. This is beyond my skill set.

This is all I have, well except the hangover from trying to drink my issue away last night in frustration.

Signed,
Lost the spark in my flying
Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Latest posts

Back