• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Smaller front windshield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad20j

Reaction score
I see that there are several people thinking of windshields, so here's a thought that may be of interest.

I've read in a couple places, I think it was in online articles about the Marquart Charger, that the high level of turbulence in the rear cockpit of tandem planes may not be due to the upper wing's downwash, but instead to the turbulence caused by the front windshield battering its way into the rear cockpit. A solution was achieved, if I recall, by cutting down the size of the front windshield, by something like 1/3 height, so that the turbulentarea / vortexbehind the frontwindshield hits the larger, rear windshield and is deflected around it, instead of wrapping around the exterior of the rear windshield into the rear cockpit.

Is this a commonly known solution? Does it work? Has it been tried in any other planes? I don't know. At least one Charger builder said it works. It's just a cool idea for which I've made a mental note to check onwhen I get to that stage (a few years off to say the least), but it would seem to be relevant to a few of you guys now.

Brad

Latest posts

Back