• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Smith Mini Barn Find Fuselage

Knight Twister

Reaction score
Krier-Kraft was a long way from home. Being a western missouri, eastern kansas boy I saw Harold Krier often no matter what he was flying.

pete51577

Registered Users
Reaction score
All of um are awesome but the Ryan , I want one .
Haha! Ol' "Nixxy!" It is probably the one modded PT-22 that looks just right! 220 Continental on the nose. I THINK that it didn't fly as well as it looked unfortunately. Jim S. will be able to clarify that. But if there was ever a plane to replicate and sort out flying-qualities wise, that would be it! That was Bill Kobelt's plane.

footloose

Reaction score
There is a lady flying airshows in Oklahoma (Pitts S2) Katy Krier . Wonder if that would be a relative of Harold ? Puts on a pretty good show .

CC27

Reaction score
Hey I’ve got a friend of mine who lives in Vermont who wants your Smith Mini. His name is Don and his number is 802-345-5809. He is not a biplane forum member but i forwarded your post to him.

jrs14855

Reaction score
Harold Krier flew a lot of shows in the northeast. Doylestown and Quakertown PA, only a few miles apart. Jamestown and Elmira NY. Others all the way to the Boston area.
Just about everyone in the airshow business in the eastern half of the US was at Kobelt's at least once. The show at Doylestown PA was probably the biggest in the NE in the late 50's early 60's.
I never saw the Kobelt Niixie fly. Rumor was that it was not a good airplane.
Bill "Pappy" Kobelt was a very accomplished pilot. His primary income was powerline patrol. Started with a J3, the Piper Clipper, then a Super Cub. He was a glider pilot at the end of WWII. He and his brother had an airport at nearby New Paltz. In the late 60's Kobelt Airport was built. They also ran the airport at Liberty NY for a while.
I was just 19 when I first met Pappy. He always remembered my name and treated me like a brother. Pappy was only in his mid 40's when he died.
Al Bachman and Howard Levy were well known aviation photographers. There were a couple of albums of their photos just inside the entry to the original hangar.

footloose

Reaction score
Hi again Karee . I've seen Katy fly in the Shawnee and Ada airshows . I would imagine that if you were to call the Chamber of Commerce for either city , someone there will have a connection . Covid kinda shut all the activities , that I'm interested in down and I don't think that either city has had a show for a couple of years but every time I've looked for anything past or upcoming , that's where I poke my nose in .

Pacer Pilot

Reaction score
There is a lady flying airshows in Oklahoma (Pitts S2) Katy Krier . Wonder if that would be a relative of Harold ? Puts on a pretty good show .
I want to contact her do you know how to find her.
footloose, sorry to disappoint you but it's Kate Kyer (no R and a Y vs an I). She's a fellow Captain at work. It is also her married name.

kareeb, look her up on Facebook or Ladies Love Taildraggers, Kate Kyer Aerobatics. She's an awesome and cool lady!

footloose

Reaction score
Thank you Pacer . Didn't know anything about her except watched her fly a couple of times in airshows . Doe's a nice routine in Pitts S2

Latest posts