• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Smith Miniplane flight characteristics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsproduction

Reaction score
I'd really appreciate input as to the flight characteristics of the Smith Miniplane compared to those of the Pitts. I have a SMP but have no landings in a Pitts. My Miniplane is a very honest airplane, stalls, spins loops and rolls seem normal to my limited experience. I suspect that the SMP is more docile in landings than the Pitts, is that correct? I have approximately 50 hours in mine, it has an O-290 GPU, controllable tailwheel just like my Luscombe has and my experience is that the airplane is just another airplane, contrary to some of the wild stories that had me freaked out before I flew it. One guy told me that without a lockable tailwheel I would be trapped inside a smoking ball beside the runway, he was totally serious. Since all my experience had been in Luscombes I couldn't understand how that could be, and I was right.

Someone has been telling a friend of mine that the SMP flies just awful, and I just don't get it. Thanks,
parts

Latest posts

Back